Kim Couture’s debut to be televised on HDNet

The mixed martial arts debut of Kim Couture, the wife of UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture, is scheduled to be televised on air on HDNet on February 29 following the network’s telecast of the IFL’s 2008 opener in Las Vegas.

“It is great to be able to put business affairs aside the last month and focus exclusively on getting ready for this fight,” Kim Couture is quoted as saying in a press release. “The whole Xtreme Couture gym is looking forward to the opportunity to showcase new and up-and-coming athletes.”

Couture will be competing in an event known as a “Smoker,” which is an in-house fight card contested under amateur rules. In many cases, fighters end up fighting friends or training partners in these fights but the goal is to give aspiring competitive fighters a chance to accumulate actual fight experience. In the case of Kim Couture, she will be fighting an opponent who is based in Vancouver.

In addition to Couture’s MMA debut, eight total fights from the Xtreme Couture Smoker will be televised on HDNet.

• Evan says:

To all

Get HDNet…now. Most people just need a HD DVR. I get one and HDNet from Time Warner for about $8 total month

• Adam Morgan says:

Evan

Thanks for the info, I have had questions about whether or not I’m capable of getting HDNet. So you don’t need an HD ready TV, just the box and then the upgraded cable package? Or can you order just HDNet? I have Time Warner also.

• Evan says:

It’s not a problem. Just get one of the silver DVR’s from TW and tell them you want the HD tier. They will know what you have and can tell you if you have the right DVR.

Now I already have the “Gold Package” since I have HBO/Showtime so I don’t know if that’s a requirement before you can get the HD Tier. I would say that’s likely. But I can tell you this…my bill only went up $3 a month and it’s a month to month addition for HDNet. There is no way I am getting rid of it now.

Cuban is turning that into the unofficial MMA Channel. He has much more coming folks…trust me.

• Evan says:

And no I do not have a HD TV…. but thats changing soon. :)

• Grape Knee High says:

Nice, does this mean we get to see Yoko get punched in the face?

• screwface says:

hdnet is with a hd receiver and a hdtv, available on time warner if you get the hd package . but these thing usually make it online the next day same quality, ez to find with the help of google if you know what i mean. arrrrr

• Jay K. says:

Before this becomes an HD forum, does anyone else see this Vancouver chick getting jumped after the fight outside the gym? LOL!

Jay K.

Ps. Evan, thank you for the info!

• Ram Maramba says:

Called Time-Warner last night on the way to the gym. By the time I got home I had HDNet goodness! I have the silver HD DVR like Evan described paired up with my piece-o’-shit 7 year-old Samsung TV. Works just fine…

Also, I have the basic digital package, whatever the lowest tier was that gave me Spike and NatGeo, and it was just an additional 3 bucks for the HD tier. Thanks for the tip, Evan!

• Evan says:

You’re welcome. HDNet is now a must have for MMA fans.

• Mike Wolfe says:

#5. Outstanding. Yoko? lol.

• hankd says:

It’s amazing how long it’s taking for everyone to realize you don’t need an HD TV to have the HDNet channel…lol

Get it people!! Evan speaks the truth about the future of HDNet and how much MMA will be broadcast…

• Zack says:

You don’t have to have an HD tv, but damn, does MMA look good on one…especially on HDNET. The Yarrenoka event was the best looking MMA event I’ve ever seen.

It sucks that Showtime stopped broadcasting most of the elitexc events in HD. Any word on whether or not the Tank/Kimbo fight will be HD?

• Ed says:

Yep, what Evan said. HDNet is the real deal. Their coverage of MMA, even the lower level indy style federations are top notch. Also, if you haven’t seen Inside MMA on Friday nights, you are totally missing out.

• Chris says:

the Fight Network channel is decent but not in the same quality as the HD channels! the only other way I know to come close to HD Net Fights is the HD UFC shows which are only once a month or so! Nice to see more variety being provided–especially high def!!!!Love it!