Fedor responds to Dana White

Fedor Emelianenko, the final reigning heavyweight champion in PRIDE’s history, has issued a response to UFC president Dana White in regards to White’s continued criticism of his ability as a top fighter.

The statement, which was published on M1Mixfight.com, reads as follows:

Numerous times have I read mister White’s statements on Internet concerning myself. In my opinion, allowing yourself to say those things is not a sign of a gentleman or a grown man at all! If he candidly wants to prove himself right then let my fight with Randy happen or let me face the reigning UFC champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. In the future I wouldn’t want to hear those statements in my address ever again and I won’t tolerate that.

My last fight in Japan proved that I’m ready to fight anybody with any height advantage, skillset or experience. I have fought and still wish to fight the best athletes. The Randy fight is my goal number one right now, he’s a great fighter and this is a very unfortunate situation when too strict and one-sided UFC contracts don’t let this fight happen.

The whole world is eager to see me fight your champions, people don’t want to listen to your press-conferences. I’m signed with M-1 Global and this promotion is ready to organize such fights under our banner or in co-promoted events.

• Dana gets called out. I think he should fight Fedor.

• Derek B. says:

Once again this is called a professional.

Fedor wants to fight these people…so why not let it happen?

• Andy says:

Dana is very demeaning when he talks shit about other people. How many people will he belittle before they start backlashing. I have seen Dana’s ego get bigger by the day in the past few years and I start to lose more and more respect for him. The whole company seems very arrogant and cocky. I know they are the best promotion, but being the best and being cocky makes them look like they think they’re god.

• TomK says:

If Fedor wanted to fight those guys, he should have signed a deal with the UFC. Regardless of whether the contracts were fair, he chose not to play in the UFC’s yard, so he has nothing to complain about if he can’t face their fighters.

The UFC is a business and it receives absolutely no benefit to co-promoting with M1 — M1 has everything to gain from co-promoting with the UFC and the UFC has everything to lose. If you’re the #1 fight promotion in the world (at least in terms of U.S. name brand recognition) why would you co-promote an event to help give another organization (M1) more name recognition? It makes no sense business-wise — even if it’s not necessarily good for the health of the industry. All of us MMA-fanboys want to see these fights, but it’s not our money we’re potentially losing because of co-promotion, so we should all settle down a little bit.

Yeah, it’s not fair to the fans, but ultimately, it’s the real world and we have to take what we can get.

• Grape Knee High says:

Meh, whatever. I’m sick of these grown men acting like babies in public.

• Sam Caplan says:

Tom, those are my thoughts exactly.

• Mike Wolfe says:

We can’t seriously believe that Fedor wrote the press release. That bit about fights under the M-1 banner or a co-promotion is a give away. M-1 would love to leverage itself at the expense of UFC, whose brand is worth much more.

• woooburn says:

i’m over this whole debachlypse. if this continues, by the time this fight actually happens (especially if it’s going to be resolved in COURT), it will have lost alot of it’s luster.

next we’ll get a response from couture saying the same thing… then a retaliation from dana… and the cycle continues.

NOT. INTERESTED.

you gents see junkie’s story on sylvia hinting that he might leave for M1? i’d be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

• Rln says:

Funny you hear M1 talk about co-promoting yet they turned around and won’t do it with Art of War so Fedor can fight Rizzo. Lets have him fight the dude Pedro just destroyed. Bunch of hypocrites.

• cyphron says:

Monte Cox is Sylvia’s manager. M-1 is run by Monte Cox. Well, isn’t that interesting. Who’s the puppet and who’s the puppeteer?

• Wess says:

Tom, those are my thoughts exactly.

• HexRei says:

Obviously you didn’t see Fedor’s release about the terms. They were ridiculous.

“I can’t leave undefeated. I can’t give interviews, appear in films or advertising. I don’t have the right to do anything without the UFC’s agreement. I could do nothing without the OK from the UFC. I didn’t have the right to compete in combat sambo competition. It’s my national sport. It’s the Russian sport, which in his time our president competed in, and I no longer have the right to do so. There were many such clauses; the contract was 18 pages in length. It was written in such a way that I had absolutely no rights while the UFC could at any moment, if something didn’t suit them, tear up the agreement. We worked with lawyers who told us that it was patently impossible to sign such a document.”

Would you sign a contract wherein you couldn’t even retire unless your employer gave you permission? Not to mention all the other crap.

• Kelvin says:

Fedor Lost….making statement in which he KNOWS has no bearing, and UFC will not co-promote

• TomK says:

• Mike Fagan says:

Tom, Sam,

Why is it OK for the UFC to not co-promote because it would be bad business for them, but Fedor should have signed a UFC contract regardless of the terms and restrictions put forth by Dana White? Fedor is just as much of a business and a brand as the UFC, so why would he enter a deal where he believes he is not being compensated fairly?

If the Fedor’s statement above about the contract is true, he would have been a fool to sign with the UFC.

• Mike Fagan says:

“HexRei — apparently Brock Lesnar didn’t have a problem with the terms of the contract he signed. I can’t imagine those terms being significantly different than what Fedor was offered — and Fedor likely received an offer with more money…”

What does this have to do with Fedor?

And if Brock signed for $10k and $10k, does that mean Fedor should have too?

• cyphron says:

It’s called market power. The UFC has it and Fedor doesn’t. The one with the money makes the demand.

Good luck with M-1. You can’t earn $2 million per fight without selling PPV or selling out 10k arenas with $400 tickets. I feel bad for Fedor because his manager has led him astray. He will never see that much money in M-1. Can M-1 sell PPV without the UFC brand and without the stacked line up that they would need to feature a 500k plus fight card? I doubt it.

• ufcfan says:

How can anyone commit on what the terms and regulations to the contract for Fedor were???

did anyone ACTUALLY see the contract

• cyphron says:

And if Brock signed for $10k and $10k, does that mean Fedor should have too?

• Mike Fagan says:

“And if Brock signed for $10k and $10k, does that mean Fedor should have too?

What a red herring. Brock signed 250k+200k. Fedor was rumored in the 1-2 million range.”

O RLY? I definitely wasn’t using a red herring to point out another. Whatever deal Brock signed with the UFC has no bearing on what Fedor should have done. Just because Brock signed for 250k/200k has nothing to do with what Fedor should have done.

• Wess says:

This reminds me of Nick D. Making statments about being better than his UFC counterparts. Knowing that he would not have to face them. Hi signed with who he signed with and he will have to live with it.

• Gabber says:

What I don’t get is how would the UFC turn around and say “Well, you can’t fight in combat Sambo tournaments” but all the BJJ guys are doing ADCC & grappling tournaments and all over the place? I find it hard to believe they would look at Combat Sambo as competition for the UFC. I really doubt Fedor wrote such a well drafted english letter when the dude can barely speak it himself. This is simply goading on the part of M-1 to try and make the UFC co-pormote him. The last open letter that was this lame was the letter from that dude at Sherdog to Dana White.

Tom and Sam are right, Fedor had a shot to sign a contract to fight the big dogs, he walked. His choice, stop crying about what could have been. Because now, even if you fight Randy, Captain America’s glistening armor has lost a fair bit of sheen with most fans.

I know it’s unfair, I know it sucks for the fans. Believe me, I hate it. But the UFC ponied up the cash to sign all the big guys, the fighters have become UFC property, Fedor didn’t want to become part of property, so he has no right to fight the UFC’s fighters.

Since when has the idea of a cross promotion ever been granted by any decently sized MMA organization. Do EliteXC and IFL cross-promote? Cage Rage and TKO? Doesn’t look like it’s only the UFC putting up the cock-block.

This letter sounds like the Gary Shaw BS challenge. Just makes me shake my head, Cyphron is right, don’t blame the UFC for making up the rules to their game. Blame his management, they told him M-1 with no fighters, no TV deal and no reputation was a good idea.

It’s Fedor’s fault for not pushing the Sambo tournament more. Do you really think a management team that was starting M-1 in the near future was really keeping Fedor’s career in the UFC as the top priority? Do you think they even kicked and screamed enough to get what Fedor wanted? I doubt it. Fedor’s manager sold his old M-1 affiliation and they signed 1 fighter. Who do you think made out the best in that deal?

Suck it up Fedor, Dana can talk all the trash he wants. You can’t do anything about it, you chose that path yourself. 😛

• cyphron says:

• cyphron says:

Why Fedor keeps wanting to fight in the Sambo tournament is beyond me. He’s a professional now so he should just leave the amateurs alone. What’s the point in demolishing the Sambo fighters? Just so he can prove that he’s the toughest professional Sambo fighter in the world? Do you see great boxers going back to Olympic so they can prove they’re tougher than the amateurs?

Maybe Dana is right. The Russians are crazy.

• Ian says:

“Fedor isn’t a top 5 heavyweight.”
    “Fedor is a farce.”

Just a few of the comments that Dana had when Fedor had the temerity not to sign away his soul to fight for the UFC.

Really Dana? That might work with the typical TUF crowd, but longtime MMA fans saw him completely annhialate your current heavyweight champion. Twice. Leaving no doubt who the superior fighter was, and is.

Comments like those disgust me. Frankly, they should disgust you to.

Fedor is right. If Dana had the courage of his convictions, he’d let Randy “Destroy” Fedor. M-1 would disintegrate as their only marketable commodity would be seen for, as Dana put it, a “farce,” and this whole debacle could be put behind us.

• HexRei says:

There has to be a threshold at which one draws the line, and for people with integrity i like to think money doesn’t alter that threshold much.
    Brock gained all his fame pretending to fight other actors on WWE PPV, so this is a huge step up for him imho. He had about as much credibility as Van Damme did when he made Bloodsport. At least now he can say he is a real fighter and not a strongman actor.
    Fedor on the other hand has been in combat competition for a very long time now, beat some of the toughest in the game, and is rated the #1 HW in the world. He is a national icon to his people and being able to compete in Sambo, give interviews, and generally be visible as a representative of his country is more important to him than lining Dana and the Fertitta’s pockets and continuing the myth that the UFC=MMA. I commend him for taking a stand.

• dice says:

# # 13 TomK Says:
    February 8th, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Not sure if I read that right, but did you just compare Brock Lesnar to Fedor?

HUGE DIFFERENCE in just about every area you can imagine. First Fedor still likes to compete in Sambo; I don’t see Lesnar pursuing any amateur wrestling goals. Second, lets avoid comparing someone with 2 MMA fights to probably the greatest fighter of all time. Some guys want more freedom in their contracts, some guys probably don’t care; it depends on their aspirations outside the cage/ring.

I don’t understand your comment about money since it doesn’t really matter how much more fedor was offered than Brock, what matters is how much he was offered by M-1 compared to the UFC. (Read comment 19, by mike fagan)

I agree that the UFC has a lot more to lose than M-1. But Fedor’s letter was brought on because of the constant trash talking by Dana White. Sure we all know how Dana is, but I can’t remember him ever dragging something like this on for so long. He has had nothing but terrible things to say about Fedor since he was unable to sign him, some of it personal. So you can talk all you want about how the UFC has nothing to gain, but Dana is the one running his mouth, not Fedor. As far as I am concerned the ball is in the UFC’s court, Dana is the one talking about how Fedor sucks, well if he sucks so bad than it shouldn’t take much for your champion to whoop his ass and show the world what a farce Fedor is. Don’t talk shit and then not back it up because you claim you have nothing to gain, thats a cowards way out.

And to Sam, not sure why you would agree with Tom K. Fedor has given a plethora of reasons as to why he didn’t sign with the UFC and they all seem fair to me. Would you take less money and autonomy just because one org. (perceived by some) has better fighters than another? Maybe fedor made the best decision for him and his family. I wouldn’t want to work for someone who trashes me just because I didn’t sign with him. It shows me what kind of guy I would have had to work for.

And to make my final point, there are more top heavyweights outside of the UFC than in it. Right now it looks like Fedor will be able to make far more compelling matchups outside of the UFC(whether those matchups materialize is a different topic). Hell I have little interest in watching him fight Nog, a guy who he destroyed twice already. Its like somebody saying they want to see tito/liddell 3. I think fights with couture, barnett, AA and Kharitonov seem more interesting to me.

• makeutapout says:

I think I have to go with HexRei on this one. Yeah, Fedor chose his path, but Dana wanted to control fucking everything in the dudes life. It’s one thing if you’re an American and you want to fight in the top level of American MMA, but if you’re a Russian who doesn’t want to have to live in the US and not take part in anything in Russia… oh yea and keep your damn mouth shut in public. Fuck that! If I were him, I wouldn’t have signed either (it’s a good thing I AM American.. if I get to that level, I wont have to deal with that kind of shit.) Why would he still be doing Sambo? Cause he’s a fucking Russian fighter, dude. That’s what they do.

IMHO I think Dana’s just been a punk about the whole Fedor thing. Like a little kid being mad he lost a game. He wanted Fedor and wanted everything to go his way. It didn’t happen, so Fedor sucks. Yeah, whatever DW, whatever.

• hindsightufuk says:

i jus wanna see fedor and randy fight for fuck sake

• Ian says:

At least Joe Rogan has some integrity.

Saw this via fightlinker.com

• Slakdawg says:

• Eric says:

“Why Fedor keeps wanting to fight in the Sambo tournament is beyond me. He’s a professional now so he should just leave the amateurs alone.”

It’s statements like this that show just some of the ignorance toward the culture, the nation, and the situation as a whole on the internet. If you don’t understand a simple concept like that then you really shouldn’t be commenting on the situation in the first place.

• Ranger1071 says:

TomK, Sam I don’t think this is about the contract at all, it’s about Dana running his mouth. Dana White needs to shut up or put up when it comes to the things he is saying about him.

From the a business stand point Dana is doing one of the worst things he can by continuing to address both Fedor and Randy. Zuffa’s got a lawsuit pending, Fedor’s with M-1 and that should be that. Let M-1 do all the talking, the lobbying, and the muckracking since they are the little guy. But for the man in charge of the most powerful organization in Mixed Martial Arts to keep running his mouth about one guy because his ego is bruised over a business dispute is, in my eyes, total garbage.

Fedor didn’t come out and bash the UFC, Dana bashed him. Fedor isn’t talking about the money or the unfair contract. Fedor is simply saying by this “less talk more action.” I think that’s totally fair. Dana is running his mouth like a jerk on this, and it doesn’t serve any real business interest of his as I look at it.

Sure hardcore fans like most of the people reading this site know who and what Fedor can do, but the majority of the TUF watching, Affliction wearing, UFC fanboys do not.

Fedor feels disrespected and is calling Dana out on that, I think this particular statement has nothing to do with the money to him, he’s mad because someone is running their mouth and not willing to back it up. If I was Fedor I’d be upset about it too.

• dice says:

# # 31 Slakdawg Says:
    February 8th, 2008 at 8:55 pm

“You cant say you want to play the Dallas Cowboys, but then sign to play with the Toronto Argonauts. He had a chance to fight all of the top guys, but he passed. Whatever demands Fedor is saying Dana White made, I’m sure Dana White made them. It’s caleld negotiation. When you’re selling a used car, do you ask for the minimum you’ll accept or do you ask high in case someone stupid comes along and buys it? You ask high and negotiate down to a reasonable price. I think Dana asked high, but Fedor’s management team used that as leverage to get him into an M-1 promotion with no talent on the roster. Is Dana worse off by not having Fedor? Of course. But who is really worse off for not signing, the UFC or Fedor?”

I think Randy was just the beginning of a tidal wave. You have a number of fighters who are not thrilled with the UFC right now. Is Fedor better off for not having signed with the UFC? The M-1 contract was rumored to be worth more (meltzer). So lets see: more money, more freedom, and a chance to fight the best. Yeah I would say he came out pretty well.

Bottom line, you guys can defend the UFC and Dana all you want, talking about how if Fedor truly wanted to fight the best he would have signed with the UFC, but the fact is Dana is the one talking shit now and not willing to back it up. It doesn’t matter who has what to gain, if you don’t have anything to gain then you shouldn’t talk shit.

• Paul Hanna says:

Fedor Vs White

I’d pay soooo much to see that

• Sergio says:

“Had a chance to fight all the top guys? Go ahead and list off those top guys for me slakdawg. Barnett? Couture? Kharitonov? Antonio Silva? Rothwell? AA is leaving soon. Tim just made some comments today that don’t sound good(even mentions M-1 by name). So excuse me if I am failing to see how the UFC has all the top heavyweights. Dana wanted to OWN a guy who didn’t want to be owned. Its as simple as that.”

I count a whopping 2 Top 10 heavyweights in the names you mentioned.

• Mike Fagan says:

“The original poster didn’t say that Fedor should do what Brock Lesnar did. However, he did say that Brock Lesnar had no problem with the terms of his contract so why should Fedor? 75% of the top fighters in the world has no problem with the terms of their contracts, so why should Fedor?”

OK, but he is comparing Fedor’s negotiations to Brock Lesnar, correct? Brock and Fedor have different reasons for fighting. Brock and Lesnar have different credibility in the MMA world. Saying, “Well, Brock didn’t have a problem signing and his deal is probably similar sans the cash, so I don’t get Fedor’s problem,” is pretty outrageous.

“What makes Fedor so special that he’s against something so many fighters are okay with?”

Is this a joke?

• Sergio says:

Out of Barnett, Couture, Kharitonov, Silva and Rothwell.

• stephen says:

Fact is…the second Fedor signs somewhere else dana calls him a fake and says he was never even top 5. Dana is the biggest loser i’ve ever seen. I enjoy watching UFC fights and know its currently the best organization of fighters, at least since pride went, but Dana is a waste.

• platypus says:

i like how so many americans fail to grasp the concept of differences in culture as one of the key factors as to why negotiations fell through.

reminds me of rush hour movies

• mike wolfe says:

Culure my ass. Money speaks all languages. Fedor got a better deal with M-1 and took it, as he should. Other fighters should take better deals than what the UFC offers if they believe it’s in their best interests. If that continues to happen, UFC/White will be forced to sweeten their deals with fighters to remain competitive. You can bet they will, because they want to maintain their market share. White or anyone can talk all they want, but that’s the way economics work, and White is smart enough to know it.The talk and the hype is interesting at a superficial level, I guess, but it’s not what drives the business of MMA or any other business.

• Slakdawg says:

Fedor hasnt fought a top heavyweight in years. The best fighter he’s faced in recent memory was Matt Lindland, a middleweight. He hasnt done anything to pursue top fighters. An open letter is great, but he knew going in that if he signed with M-1 he wasnt going to be facing the top UFC guys. So now he wants to act like these are the guys he wanted to face all along? Too bad, Fedor. You didnt want to sign Dana’s “slave” contract, that’s your business, just dont complain later that you want to fight guys under contract to the UFC when you passed up the opportunity. Was Fedor a great fighter? Sure. Is he still now? Who knows? When was the last time he fought anybody worth a shit?

• dice says:

Sergio, nice back tracking. Top 10 lists are subjective of course, but this very site your posting on has AA, Barnett, Couture, and Rothwell in the top 10. And I would pick Silva over Kongo and probably even Gonzaga at this point.

Slakdawg, please provide the link where fedor states fighting Randy is “his dream”. I have never seen it.(why would a fighter sign a long term binding contract just so he can fight one guy?) Oh and I will go over it again for ya, he replied to Dana because dana was the one talking shit. You can’t talk shit and then hide behind “well you are the pussy because you didn’t sign with me”. Fedor isn’t complaining, his letter seemed pretty professional to me. Just because I don’t want to sign a slave contract doesn’t mean I don’t want to fight the best fighters. Right now Fedor looks like a genius in my eyes, the guy refused to sing with the UFC, Randy ends up leaving anyway, and now there are like 4 stars who are ready to leave. Check out swifts blog, you might learn something. http://www.mmapayout.com/

• Mike Fagan says:

““Yeah, this would all be relevant if Fedor just came out demanding to fight UFC fighters. That isn’t the case. He (or M-1’s PR) is responding to comments made over and over again by Dana White questioning Fedor’s credibility as a fighter.”

Umm, didnt he want to fight Couture and Nogueira? Arent they UFC fighters? He signed with M-1 knowing full well who was on their fight roster. If his dream match is against Couture, then he should have signed with the UFC, because it’s well known that Dana White doesnt let his guys cross promote. There was a zero percent chance of Dana letting Randy (or Big Nog in this case) go fight Fedor while Fedor is signed to M-1. ”

Reading comprehension, please. The reason that Fedor/M-1 issued this statement is to respond to comments made by Dana White. These aren’t coming from nowhere.

• Slakdawg says:

“Right now Fedor looks like a genius in my eyes, the guy refused to sing with the UFC, Randy ends up leaving anyway, and now there are like 4 stars who are ready to leave.”

Fedor looks like a genius in your eyes? Maybe having Fedor destroy Long Duck Dong or whoever that circus freak was may be genius to you, but I dont think many MMA fans salivate over watching Fedor fight the bearded lady or the small car full of clowns next. And as to whether Randy is leaving or not is still going to come down to a court case. If a judge rules against Randy, then he has to fight for the UFC. All they have to do is keep him waiting for a match for a while longer and the fight wont make sense any more. There’s a very small window of opportunity on the Fedor/Randy fight. Fedor can afford to wait, he’s not old. Randy is no spring chicken any more. As for the other stars who are fed up and leaving, you mean guys like Tito? The guy who passes up a fight to take a turn on the celebrity apprentice? Or Sylvia, a guy almost every UFC fan cant stand because he puts on boring fights? I’d be bummed if Arlovski left, but his last couple fights werent exactly barnburners. He had a 5-round bore-a-thon versus Sylvia and a 3 round snoozefest against Werdum. I bet Jake O’Brien grinds out a 3 round decision against Arlovski in his next fight.

There are a handfull of guys in all of these small promotions who I’d like the UFC to sign, but with all those small promotions each having one or two high end guys and a roster of nobodies and cans. Those promotions are begging for the UFC to cross promote and give them relevance. The UFC gains absolutley nothing from a cross promotion. It’s a terrible business move to do it. Would I like to watch the fight? Sure, but I’mnot gonna quit watching if they dont. And neither will any of you, no matter how much you posture and beat your chests about what the UFC needs to do. The only thing the UFC needs to do is put on fights and keep their fans. Most UFC fans dont even know who Fedor is, so placating a group of direhard Pride/Fedor fanboys while diminishing their own marketshare in the process would be the stupidest thing ever. This isnt a fantasy league where you can do this kind of stuff without consequence. You guys need to pull your heads out of the sand and see what time it is.

• makeutapout says:

I don’t get why it’s so hard for so many to understand this. It’s DANA talking shit and FEDOR is saying “make these fights happen or STFU.” It seems to me that he’s fine doing thing which ever way the companies want to do things, but he wants DW to put up or shut up. He isn’t the one calling Dana out. Dana’s basically calling him out and he’s responding. Is that clear enough? Does it need to be broken down into even more base terms?

• dice says:

# 45 Slakdawg Says:
    February 9th, 2008 at 7:04 pm

“Fedor looks like a genius in your eyes? Maybe having Fedor destroy Long Duck Dong or whoever that circus freak was may be genius to you..”

Uh, slak buddy, it hasn’t been that long since Fedor signed with M-1. Fedor was looking to what we call “the future”. You seem to be stuck in the past, talking about 1 fight he had. So since he had one fight against Man, that means he made the wrong choice? Not sure how you come to that conclusion, it looks like he has monson in may and then its wide open. Please read this next statement since you seem to keep forgetting to address it, fedor has come out on the better end of this so far because A) the UFC heavyweight champion left, B) Barnett will never sign with the UFC, C) the pres of M-1 is also the manager of rothwell and Sylvia, D) one of most popular heavyweights the UFC has is leaving after his next fight (AA). Are you that dense you can’t see the UFC heavyweight division is weak? So like I said before, Fedor vs AA, Barnett, Kharatonov and Couture looks more appealing than Fedor vs Nog 3, Werdum, Gonzaga, and Kongo (lol).

“If a judge rules against Randy, then he has to fight for the UFC.”

This represents a level of misunderstanding that has to be deliberate. If not deliberate, then you literally have no clue what is going on with the Couture/UFC issue. But I will be a nice guy and help, if a judge rules in favor the UFC that will NOT mean that Randy has to fight for the UFC. Go check it out, I suggest fightopinion radio as the best source.

“The only thing the UFC needs to do is put on fights and keep their fans.”

Good advice. You do know that they PPV numbers are dropping and that their last Fight Night had abysmal ratings(2nd lowest ever), right? (also it looks like they lost a ton of money in trying to expand their “marketplace” in Europe, so much so that Adam swift reports they may have led to their taking bids in a Buyout). Oh and it looks like their former major sponsor, Xyience, will be undergoing a criminal investigation. Don’t forget Zuffas ties to Xyience. They also currently seem to be trying to sue DSE due to their own utter incompetence when buying them out. Go listen to an Ed Fishman interview right around the time of the buyout, he raises questions back then that Zuffa seems to be raising now.

So excuse me if I feel like it is you sir that needs to pull your head out of the sand and see what time it is.

• Slakdawg says:

“fedor has come out on the better end of this so far because A) the UFC heavyweight champion left, B) Barnett will never sign with the UFC, C) the pres of M-1 is also the manager of rothwell and Sylvia, D) one of most popular heavyweights the UFC has is leaving after his next fight (AA). Are you that dense you can’t see the UFC heavyweight division is weak? So like I said before, Fedor vs AA, Barnett, Kharatonov and Couture looks more appealing than Fedor vs Nog 3, Werdum, Gonzaga, and Kongo (lol).”

Dice, you’re talking pure speculation. You dont know if Fedor will ever fight any of those guys again. Or have they all signed with M-1 while I was taking a shit? Randy left. So who’s he fighting for now? What promotion has signed him to represent them? Oh, yeah. He’s still under contract to Zuffa. When did Rothwell become a top 10 heavyweight? When he was tearing up the ultra competitive IFL? And you think a Fedor – Sylvia fight is what people want to see when both Couture and Nog just beat him and his only recent win was over an undersized Brandon Vera when he spent three rounds holding him against the cage. As soon as any of the guys you mentioned signs with M-1, you can talk to me about fights that Fedor can take. Until then your argument holds no water.

• Slakdawg says:

And I’m not saying that Fedor isnt a great fighter, that’s not my argument at all. He just needs to fight good fighters not leftovers from Ringling Bros.

• dice says:

# 48 Slakdawg Says:
    February 9th, 2008 at 9:16 pm

“When did Rothwell become a top 10 heavyweight? When he was tearing up the ultra competitive IFL?”

I can tell you aren’t actually reading my posts because I have already addressed this issue. But I will go over it again. Being a top ten fighter is a subjective ranking that will be different for just about anybody, but this site, this very site that you have been posting on, has Ben rothwell as a top ten fighter. So go ahead and click the link title “rankings” and check it out for yourself. Yes, some people have Rothwell in their top ten.

“Dice, you’re talking pure speculation. You dont know if Fedor will ever fight any of those guys again.”

And you don’t know that he won’t fight any of these guys. That seems to be a triviality that you keep missing. As though you are allowed to speculate that Fedor will never face these guys, but I am not allowed to speculate that he will. You also seem to be applying an endgame mentality, one of which I don’t understand. How, after 4 months of Fedor not signing with the UFC, can you sit there and say that he made the wrong decision? Especially when the probability of him fighting top ten fighters is growing almost by the day. He is in a far better position now than say 4 months ago. The amount of evidence that supports my speculation has been far stronger than yours. Couture will most likely be free from his contract in Oct (if you don’t think so then listen to thaler and swift).

“And you think a Fedor – Sylvia fight is what people want to see when both Couture and Nog just beat him and his only recent win was over an undersized Brandon Vera when he spent three rounds holding him against the cage.”

I was mentioning him because he is a top ten fighter, I never said a word that “this is the fight people want to see”. If you actually read my posts, which you obviously haven’t, you would have noticed I wrote this
    “You also forgot to mention that the Barnett and Couture are his two biggest fights. Much bigger than Fedor/NOG 3 (does anybody really want to see that?) or Fedor/ Sylvia.”

I have already acknowledge that Fedor/ Sylvia is not going to be his biggest fight. But you decided to make a straw man argument anyway.

Slakdawg says: “As soon as any of the guys you mentioned signs with M-1, you can talk to me about fights that Fedor can take. Until then your argument holds no water.”

Like I stated before, you seem to be applying some weird sort of endgame with the Fedor saga. Its been 4 months guy, 4 MONTHS!!! And yet you are already writing Fedor off as he made the wrong decision. It is your argument that holds no water. Since Fedor refused to sign with the UFC, Randy left and AA is leaving. Thats the UFC’s 2 most popular heavyweights. M-1 is under negotiations with Barnett. Give it time buddy, the possibilities for Fedor outside the UFC are far greater now than in it.

• Derek B. says:

“Why is it OK for the UFC to not co-promote”

UFC already kinda Co-Promoted with the WWE with the Brock Lesnar Fight.

• rome says:

Fuck UFC. For those of you who dont know about M-1 they have plenty of money to maintain until they reach UFC status. They have a billionair backing them and signing TV/advertising deals with them. It wont be long AA, then Big Tim, and before you know M-1 is another Pride. So who cares what the UFC does they cant control the market for much longer becuase one man in the M-1 circle has more money then everyone, including fighters, than the UFC.

• Thomas says:

Slakdawg i would like to see you or any of your picked fighters compete against Hong Man Choi. If you think that was just such an easy fight then you atleast reckon Fedor is the best fighter in the world 😛

Dana White tried to get control over Fedor, he failed, and now, as the little kid he is, he trashtalks Fedor. Besides, just watch some episodes of TUF and you’ll see what a big loser Dana really is. The only thing that is a farce in this story is the contract Dana offered Fedor. If Fedor had signed Dana would say he is the best fighter in history. Now that he didnt sign, Fedor suddenly isnt even a top hvywgt anymore… go figure. Who’s the hypocrite in this story?? Yes, Dana. I rest my case.

• Mikus says:

The fact that Dana said Fedor isn’t top 5 prooves how full of shit he is… Fedor will be fine, he’s a god in Russia… Dana’s the one that’s going to miss out on money here, and he should… An indefinate, conditional contract? Arguing over something as trivial as Russian Sambo?… Fuck ’em, I’ll still watch Fador fights on YouTube instead of Spike, and Fedor will live the life of a king in Russia… Meanwhile, Dana can continue blowing Chuck Lidel and intimidating contestants on The Ultimate Fighter

• Nicholas N says:

I’ve read all of the evidence and this is my first post. I’ve kept an open mind and here are my thoughts:

1) Fedor would destroy you all
    2) Dana is a douche bag

• andrew says:

the truth:

fedor wouldnt sign with ufc. there was to many clauses, thats what couture fell into. couture can’t fight fedor because fedor wasn’t signed and he can’t fight in any other sanction because ufc owns couture and his name. if you have a ufc contract they own you. fedor wouldn’t sign because mainly if he did he couldn’t compete in sambo tournaments. he will never be to big or professional to stop dominating combat sambo and sambo tournaments.

ufc is a big business that will control their fighers. they will own your name and control what you do.

• Steve says:

Dana is a dick. Frankly, Fedor doesn’t have to prove himself. He has two decisive victories against Nogueira. He submitted recently inducted hall of fame, Mark Coleman, twice. The man only lost one fight and that was due to an illegal elbow from his opponent (which he destroyed in the rematch). Fedor has every right to say FUCK YOU to White, and does not need to prove himself. If Dana White wants Fedor so bad, then give him a decent contract, otherwise, shut up about him. Be happy that you have Nogueira and his losses to Fedor never happened. I mean, this guy is supposed to represent UFC and he comes out looking like a fucking dick by disrespecting of the sports’ legends. He’s doing the same now with Couture. He’s an embarrassment.

• AJ says:

all I see here is a bunch of children whining about how Fedor’s a loser because he responded to Dana White dragging his name through the grass. He’s not whining, he’s calling Dana out for the sleazy prostitute of a man he is because he KNOWS he’d never book a fight for the competition’s sake. Dana White knows prostitution, he’s got no ground to talk about cowardice.

And most of you couldn’t be further off, given everything Fedor’s said I’m pretty sure this is a great setup for him. He has the chance to fight whenever he wants to, do whatever he wants to, spend alot more time with his family than he would be with UFC, and he’s still incredibly respected by anyone who matters. Money and fame isn’t everything.

• Daniel says:

Dana White is a joke. The guy is an idiot, his comments say it all. Not only offensive, but If he cant treat his own possible clients with respect and acts as the well-so-common retarted powerfull boss, then what else can I say.
    Can I say that he insulted Fedor for no reason? (If Fedor is a “farse” then Dana you are a retard, and Im certain the first is false)
    I thought you live in a FREE country where you can FREELY express your opinion WITHOUT having to sign some contract that denies it.. Go figure
    Well guess what Dana, i did not sign your contract so allow me to say: f— y– retard

• Evan says:

“Dana White is a joke. The guy is an idiot,”

Yeah well this site and most others would not exist without him. You don’t turn a 2 million dollar purchase into something that is probably worth a billion by being an idiot. I hate it when he opens his mouth but he gets the job done.

• gabe says:

If i remember, didn’t the LOL Kongo complete dominate Mirko, both standing, in the clinch, and on the ground. Fedor is the man, no doubt, but don’t just dismiss a fighter like Kongo who has shown the desire to get better every fight. I believe Mirko was the only guy (besides Randelman and the body slam on Fedor’s head) that has even been in the same class as Fedor in any of his fights in the last 3 years. I think Kongo v. Fedor would worth the PPV more than anyone Fedor has fought in a while.

• JD says:

Dana, I love you man and I appreciate everything you’ve done for the sport (and it’s participants). If your the true talant and promoter that many believe you are, then you need to swallow your pride. Eat a little shit if you have to but make this fight happen. Randy only has one or two fights left in his career. He deserves a shot at Fedor. Give the the fans what they want; we want to see Randy and Fedor fight for the title.

Make it happen! No matter what it takes. I know you can do it. Make it happen.

• Drago says:

If Fedor is a “farse” like White said, why would he want to sign him.

Guys, face it, no one comes close to Fedor.

• Dana Fuck says:

It is childish for White to insult such a great fighter whom he is unable to buy out with his fucking money.

• plas says:

Great arguments, thanks. But one thing everyone may not realize is that while Fedor possibly has poor management for Fedor’s sake, the fighter IS Russian. Russian people are very protective of their own people, which is why you see Putin talking to his favorite fighter, FEDOR. I’m sure you’ve seen the picture. And Putin along with many Russians in power, are somewhat shady when it comes to business, to be polite, to be frank they can act like organized crime. Putin sees Fedor as a Russian icon, and I don’t think he would like it if he left. Russia is a very different culture than ours. Do you really think it is a coincidence that he is such a huge fan of Putin? Fedor is one of the most visible Russian athletes and so of course he has to like Putin, whether by choice or not. And let’s not forget he has a family and children, I am sure he doesn’t want to give up all his rights to fight UFC.

• HiC says:

The inability for some people to read and comprehend never ceases to amaze me.

Fedor’s comments are directed towards Dana White’s demeaning statements about him in the press, which is total douchebaggedness.

So maybe some of you retards can explain wtf you mean by “Fedor has no right to complain”. Are you saying that the UFC has a right to be douchebags because Fedor wouldn’t sign a contract he felt did not meet his requirements? Or maybe you weren’t really thinking at all when you posted.

• mike says:

Fedor is the best fighter, u can see the way he behaves and fights, he is a champion, and a good man. Dana White can go and hole himself. Does he think UFC is the best, no way. I can assure you Fedor can face any fighter from UFC and still have more probability to beat each of them. How many times Couture lost, how many times Chuck Liddel ass was kicked. Fedor?
    Result that what matters!

• Frank says:

UFC fanboys are silly

• Hitemup says:

The UFC now has the best collection of fighters in the world in their reflective weight classes; except for at heavy weight. The only person I’ve seen that might be able to beat him right now is Silva.

Dana needs to suck it up and make this fight fucking happen. Fedor love cash, they need to throw a million dollars at him and get him to the UFC.

• MJ says:

I cant believe how many people are sticking up for that fukhead dana… He is a dickhead and it shows when so many fighters who have been loyal to the company start leaving with a bad taste in their mouths. Fedor on the otherhand is the embodiment of a champion. He is humble and is a great sportsman, a massive contrast to the shit talking ego maniac that dana is. How can you say that someone who has pretty much never lost a fight is not a top fighter, especially knowing that he has pounded the current ufc heavyweight champ twice. In conclusion Fedor is a champion that doesnt want to become a member in dana’s brigade of puppets that are made to adhere to bullshit contract clauses….

Oh yeah

Maybe Dana is right. The Russians are crazy.

Cyphron you are an absolute wanker, it is this sort of cultural ignorance that personifies why unfortunately for the good Americans, Americans are generally regarded as culturally insensitive morons. He represents his country and his family competing in these competitions and not only that a sambo practicioner must compete and win tournaments to progress in rank. Sort of like a grading on national stage. Its a shame that some people like idiot dana and yourself think that if people don’t think the same as Americans they are crazy…. Its called culture maybe you should try experience it sometime.

• Xavier says:

Dana should let the fight happen but I think his scared to loose having the champ under his control, trust me that the fans are starting to see that its not about the best anymore, and maybe the best fighter are going else were, UFC should pay the fighters more, maybe if they started paying them more and also get there hands on appreal t-shirt, and everything else that fighter wear and due to make money, instead of letting company like Affliction that owned by a group that never trained mma or even played a sport, the fight game is short lived and theses guys should get paid and have fair chances to get fights as earned instead of having to be liked or
    Dana buddy to get fights and seconds chances, Dana says Elite XE is a freak show, well the UFC is starting to look Dana White boys club, and not the best which I hate to see, as I really enjoyed all the good the UFC has done, I would hate to see them loose it cause of greed

• WhatsamataU? says:

Uhhhhh…he destroyed Sylvia in less than a minute. Don’t tell me Sylvia is a lightweight pushover. We all know better.

• Vaden says:

Anyone siding with Dana White or the UFC with regards to their one sided contracts is simply uneducated about the issues. The fact is Dana White was a wanna be fighter who never was close to being a fighter on any level. He has no character, no class and absolutely no balls. He uses contracts to bully his fighters because he is a worm who takes advantage of people who’s dream is to be a professional fighter. He cares nothing about true fighters. Mostly, because there is unresolved jealousy and envy in him. He is only concerned with money and his own childish ego. Fedor is a great fighter. Randy is a great fighter. They both deserve to fight one another on their terms period. Randu helped build the UFC and how do the greedy slapdicks at the UFC show their graditude. Well, we all know how greatful they are. They spit in the face of one of the most important MMA fighters in the history of the sport. Randy is a man of true class, integrity, character and morals. Qualities worms like Dana White laugh at because they do not help his profit margin. Numerous fighters have all said the same thing. Dana White’s ego and unreasonable contracts are ridiculous. I hope all the good fighters go to a fighting organization where they care about the fighters.

• mike says:

dana white is a complete arrogant asshole, as he made himself look like a fool in his interviews regarding fedor… what a loser… dana white is showing his true colors

• baltimore_love says:

I’d like to see Fedor-Lesnar with Fedor’s UFC contract conditions contingent upon the outcome of the fight: Fedor wins, he and Lesnar and the UFC make a lot of money but on Fedor’s terms. Lesnar wins, he and Fedor and the UFC make a lot of money on UFC’s terms.

Dana, if you don’t put your money where your mouth is, people are gonna start noticing more every day.

• dana!_well_thats_a_girls_name_anyways says:

dana is amusing, but for the most part he’s a pain in the ass. he’s ultimate goal ofcourse is to make as much chaching as possible even if it means bad rep for the sport (if u can call it a sport)

as ceo or whatever of a company he sometime comes out a bit classless and thugish…this exchange of insults and unconstructive criticism is not doing him/ufc any good…its not good marketing and not good image befitting of the UFC/and his position in the UFC.

finally…c’mon man…you picked the quitest, classiest and most respectable fighter in the mma world to pick on…WTF were you thinking!! (again, horrible marketing…it makes the newspaper for sure, but not without of the cost of making you DANA look like a hater, or loser of some sort)

Dana, as a brotherly advice “lose the ghetto charm, stick to a spork jacket, and control your jaw…before you lost it”

• troy says:

dana white is turning into don king, he is not much different than boxing these days and we will soon be seeing questionable decisions and the same fighters being run into the ground over and over. the fans want to see the best in the world not who he considers the best or is in the best intrest of ufc. who does he think created this sport. the fans or him.