UFC makes Serra vs. St. Pierre II official for UFC 83; over 13,000 tickets sold

serra_gsp

The UFC held a press conference Monday morning at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada to officially announce that UFC 83 will be held there on April 19. UFC president Dana White presided over the press conference, which aired on Yahoo! as well as UFC.com.

White was joined by UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra and interim UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. It was announced that the two will face each other at UFC 83 in a title unification match. The fight will also serve as a rematch of Serra’s upset victory over St. Pierre at UFC 69 last April.

Serra had been scheduled to defend the title at UFC 79 on Dec. 29 in Las Vegas against Matt Hughes but had to pull out of the match after suffering a back injury in November. He confirmed during the press conference that he had in fact suffered two herniated disks (L4 and L5) but proclaimed that “he’s back.”

Serra said that physicians told him he was fortunate because the discs were herniated to the center of his back, as opposed to the side. He added that he has not experienced any numbness in his legs and that he has “rehabbed the injury like crazy.” Serra also revealed that he’s undergone spinal injections to treat the injury.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF THIS ARTICLE ON SAM CAPLAN’S PROELITE.COM BLOG

• Danny says:

So now its official, GSP vs serra. as much as i wanna think that gsp is gonna whup serra, it could be one of those cases of serra having his number. serra is a crafty guy that wont be intimidated by anyone. i expect this fight to be longer and harder fought.

• josh b says:

i expect georges to come in and immediately take him dow just like he did with hughes. i figure he doesnt want to risk it at all with the stand up… what you guys think?

• Ryan Seacrest says:

I think that GSP is going to avenge his loss to Serra and punish him in a ground and pound. But hey thats just my opinion…..Thats what I thought it was going to be in the 1st fight and I was wrong. GO GSP!!!

Seacrest Out!

• bubbafat says:

George needs to come in with the same game plan he had with BJ.

• Echolocating says:

Georges got caught. Serra is no slouch, but Georges has all the tools to absolutely destroy Serra. I believe Georges was Serra’s first knockout in the UFC and almost all of Serra’s recent wins were decisions.

If anybody knows how to avenge a loss, it’s Georges. 😉

• woooburn says:

ufc 83: gsp vs derek zoolander

maybe they’ll breakdance fight

• Guy Gaduois says:

zoolander! woodburn, great call.

GSP via submission, 3:20 in Rd. 1

• Paul Hanna says:

i hope gsp eats him

• Ranger1071 says:

I almost feel bad for Matt Serra. He had, what I felt, was a good shot at Matt Hughes. Now he gets arguable the best pound for pound fighter in MMA right now who also just happens to be PO’ed at him for what he felt like was disrespectful comments. Serra better have something absolutely amazing in his bag of tricks for this fight cause if not GSP is going to mop the floor with him.

• Jonathan says:

“Magnum!”

• ACanadianPotHead says:

Sam, I want to say again thanks for your help a few weeks ago. You definetely alleviated some of my concerns reagarding the fight club membership. Me and my friends were able to get descent seats, for what is turning out to be a very good card.

See you in Montreal, beers on me.

• Buster Bluth says:

Sounds like someone has a man crush…I’m jealous.

• Sam Caplan says:

ACPH, no prob. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to make it to Montreal for those beers.

• ACanadianPotHead says:

I heard Buster Bluth has wet dreams about Kevin Iole……..

• BigBad Bradical says:

GSP is eliminating the smack from Serra. U won’t see Serra in the UFc for much longer. He’ll fight Hughes after he loses to GSP, and after two losses, we all know how Dana treats his fighters.

• THORAZINE says:

Does anyone think Serra will be 100% after that back injury?… I for one don’t.

• BigBad Bradical says:

I don’t think he’ll be 100% per se. Back injuries are hard to bounce back from. However, even @ 100% he’d lose. I bet you that Serra will use his back as an excuse when he loses to GSP in May.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

I suggest that you never count out Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. Yes, I think GSP is an outstanding, well rounded fighter, but to say Serra has no chance was ridiculous.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I’ve heard Serra say that he’s feeling better after having [epidural] injections. Basically, the discs are still protruding, it’s just that they are not irritated and causing symptoms at this time. He could have a flare up at any time, and probably will over the years. Right now it’s an open question whether he’ll be available to fight GSP. Hope UFC has a back up plan.