Top Five Next Opponents for Brock Lesnar

Disclaimer: The below article is not based on any inside information. It’s merely a list of potential opponents that the UFC should consider for Brock Lesnar’s next match in order to help build him into a bigger star.

Top Five Potential Next Opponents for Brock Lesnar:

1. Carmelo Marrero – He’s not under UFC contract right now but you can change that situation with a phone call. Marrero is a good wrestler while Lesnar is a great wrestler. While Marrero has dropped to light heavyweight I’m sure you could convince him to move back up, which would mean Brock would have an opponent that he could totally rag doll. Credit goes to Sam Cupitt for this idea.

2. Justin McCully – He’s pretty much a ground and pound guy. He has some submissions, but he’s no Frank Mir. Basically, if he doesn’t put Lesnar on his back, I don’t see how he wins.

3. Krzysztof Soszynski – Big, muscular dude. He has the kind of look you can sell to a casual fan. Like Lesnar, he’s a former pro wrestler and is relatively new to MMA. He made tremendous strides last year but I still think Lesnar could destroy him because Lesnar is a big heavyweight while Soszynski is a small one.

4. Wes Sims – A lot of people booed for Lesnar last night but if you put him in a fight against Wes Sims a lot of those same fans would cheer because they dislike Sims even more. Yes, I realize putting Lesnar vs. Sims on a card is very transparent but how many people would mark out seeing Sims getting demolished by Lesnar?

5. Brandon Lee Hinkle – Hinkle is a dangerous opponent against strikers because of his lay and pray style. But what are the chances he gets Lesnar off his feet? Even if he did, he’d be giving up so much weight and strength against Lesnar that I think Brock could turn the tide.

I’d love to hear what other people think of this list as well as any other ideas for possible opponents. Feel free to speak your mind in the comment area of this post.

Read a whole lot more Brock Lesnar content on your home for MMA news and opinion, FiveOuncesOfPain.com

• Sam Cupitt says:

Soszynski was that cat that got DQ in HD net fights wasnt he?

Ah yes the hammer house is well represented in your top 5, i like.

• MMAHitlist.com says:

Eddie Sanchez

• gg says:

Brock Lesnar vs Mirko Crocop at UFC 85 in London June 14th.

• Al says:

Just FYI, but if you hadn’t read elsewhere, Josh Barnett is facing Hidehiko Yoshida at WVR’s first card. There goes the Fedor fight…

• Sam Caplan says:

Al, Barnett vs. Fedor was never going to happen in May. The possibility being discussed was Barnett vs. Aleksander; which could still happen assuming Barnett doesn’t get hurt too bad vs. Yoshida. But I think with Fedor’s price tag that it is too cost prohibitive to promote Barnett and Fedor on the same card unless they are fighting each other on PPV. Having Barnett appear on the undercard of a Fedor main event is great future planning but very, very costly.

• Paul Balsom says:

Hey guys, in a little while I’LL POST A “WHO’S NEXT FOR BROCK?” ARTICLE TOO! maybe we can all do it!

• Ryder Die says:

When he was signed to the UFC White said that he would only fight the top tier fighters. I would like to see Lesnar vs. Cro Cop, Coleman, or even Antoni Hardonk but it will probably be someone like an Eddie Sanchez, McCully, or Marrero.

• Al says:

Right you are Sam – I did mean Aleksander but was thinking about Fedor (I do seem to spend an unhealthy amount of time thinking about him…)

Also, I know nothing of the deal the Barnett has with WVR, but I would be very suprised if it was exclusive.

• Footer says:

Mir should get the winner of Kongo / Herring and Lesnar can take the loser.

• Andrej says:

Neal Wain, didn”t they sign him? Carmelo Marrero is a good how about Antoni Hardonk? Antoni Hardonk is a striker and a damn good one but not a ground fighter with much skill. Hardonk/Lesnar in June for the UK PPV sounds like a solid fight for the event. Maybe not a main event but a good solid main card fight

• Bad Monkey says:

I’ve got to go with Eddie Sanchez as well. A pretty good striker, but with weak ground skills would play right into Lesnar’s game.

Sanchez made a punching bag out of Palalei, and he’s done well enough to be a ‘respectable’ opponent to get Lesnar in the win column in the UFC.

• Rich says:

to Andrej,
    Hardonk does have some skill on the ground for he had Mir in an armlock before Mir sub’d him..

and i say they go ahead and give Lesnar Sylvia..
    they’re both coming off a loss now..
    and i would love to see Sylvia totally pummel’d..

but.. that’s probably not going to happen..

i would love to see Lesnar/Kongo also.. but… Lesnar just lost.. and Kongo’s on a winning streak that includes him beating Cro-Cop.. so i don’t see that happening either.

maybe Lesnar/Gonzaga.. if gonzaga’s not completely through with..

• bubbafat says:

Put him against some more submission guys like Marcio Cruz or Gabriel Gonzaga. If you want to put him against a striker, why not skip Kongo and go straight to big Tim. And since when(Ryder) is Antoni Hardonk a top tier MMA fighter?
    Lesnar is a good enough wrestler I think he could withstand a trial by fire against some solid opponents. I mean, I was worried for Mir’s life for a good 30 sec’s last night before, thankfully, I was proven wrong.
    By the way, how come nobody has mentioned how Boetsch absolutely ragdolled David Heath last night at the end of their fight? I mean he tossed a grown man like he was a SMALL bag’o’potato’s. Impressive for a guy with just wrestling cred.

• Rich says:

people have been mentioning.. just on the other articles.. not this one..

• Rich says:

“people have been mentioning” — the Boetsch fight..

• jt says:

nobody wants to pay to see lesnar vs. a can.

• MJC_123 says:

Cro-Cop?
    Brock can afford to lose another, Cro-Cop cannot, Brock would be someone he should really beat and its two big name draws that could potentially headline, sell a PPV…If Mirko fails he has to be shown the door…

• THORAZINE says:

Put BROCK LESNAR VS TIM SYLVIA, I’d say that was a bad fight for big tim.

• Beau says:

Eddie Sanchez and Antoni Hardonk are the best names Ive heard, Sanchez being my top choice. He’s coming off a win which gives him some credibility but Lesnar would absolutely destroy him. Having him fight a lightweight in Marerro is just stupid in my oppinion. At least Sanchez is a heavyweight, he has a good record, and he’s coming off a win on a main card.

• Krystof says:

For building up Lesnar, I’d say Jeff Monson could be a good fit, he’s a powerful wrestler and very strong. Not quite as tall as Lesnar, but still would show us a good fight between the 2.

I don’t think at this time Lesnar should be fighting someone by the likes of Gonzaga, but the possibility of CroCop could be interesting.

Lesnar and Tank Abbott could be entertaining as well.

A fight with Tim Sylvia could also prove to be a great fight, in addition to keeping asses in the seats.

• syqnys says:

Who I think it will be in order:

1. Gonzaga (Sucks for Brock, I give Brock a slight advantage, but not much)
    2. Brandon Vera (Sucks for Vera. Could possibly submit Brock, though, if he’s not careful)
    3. Cro Cop (Cro Cop is dangerous, or at least he used to be. I’d give this one to brock, though.)
    4. Eddie Sanchez (Sanchez really doesn’t have a chance)
    5. Hardonk (This would be a pretty good match up in the eyes of the casual fan. Both look like future champions, even though only one of them is.)
    6. Sylvia (This would be the best possible fight for Lesnar, though. Probably not going to happen. Though they have a little back and forth going, Sylvia wouldn’t take the fight)

• Pitek101 says:

Kimbo slice Vs Brock should be a good fight

• bobby says:

BROCK JUST BEAT HERRING AT UFC 87 I GOT LUCKY EMOUGH TO WATCH IT LIVE.NOW AFTER A VERY EASY WIN OVER HEATH I MEAN HERRING WAS DESTROYED,HEATH DID NOT GET A SINGLE DECENT MOVE THE WHOLE FIGHT AND HE WAS COMPLETELY MAN HANDELED BY LESNAR.LESNARS NEXT FIGHT SHOULD BE EITHER OF THESE GUYS

CAIN VASQUUEZ I DONT KNOW HOW TO SPELL IT BUT HE DESTROYED JAKE OBRIEN ON THE FIGHT NIGHT WITH IRING AND SILVA

THE WINNER OF THE SHANE CARWIN VS NEIL WEIN FIGHT

GABRIEL GONZAGA

FBRICO WERDUM

CHEICK KONGO

AND I DONT KNOW WHY THERE GIVING MIR A TITLE SHOT

HE GOT DESTROYED BY BRANDON VERA THE FIGHT BEFORE HE FOUGHT LESNAR AND VERA SUCKS

AND BRANDON VERA GOT DESTROYED BY TIM SYLVIA

AND MIR WILL BE GETTING A TITLE SHOT AGINST ANTONIO NOUGURIA AND ANOTONIO NOGURIA WHOPPED TIM SYLVIAS ASS.

SO ITS ANTONIO NOGUIRA VS THE GUY THAT GOT BEAT BY THE GUY THAT GOT BEAT BY THE GUY HE BEAT

• bobby says:

if you think about it its imposible to beat brock without submiting him so if he improves that submitting game he will be unbeateble and then it will be brock vs fedor!!!!!!!

• Joe NJ says:

Put Lesnar in with anybody that can box/punch/strike and will take it to him!
    Any ground fighter(submission or wrestler)would most likely lose to this beast.
    I want to see Brock cut, hurt, and bleeding than we can see how far the “UFC” champ is going to reign.
    Force Lesnar to fight when he is punched out, busted up, than I WILL BE CONVINCED!