Exclusive: UFC signs heavyweight prospect Shane Carwin to a multi-fight contract

shane-carwin.JPG

FiveOuncesOfPain.com (www.FiveOuncesOfPain.com) has learned that the UFC has signed highly-touted heavyweight prospect Shane Carwin to a multi-fight contract.

Carwin confirmed the news when contacted for comment.

Carwin has gained recent national attention thanks in large part to a perfect 8-0 record that includes victories over current IFO heavyweight champion Chris Guillen and also Miletich Fighting Systems-product and former UFC fighter Sherman Pendergarst.

Carwin’s most recent victory came against Pendergarst on Dec. 1 while fighting for Sven Bean’s Ring of Fire promotion in Colorado.

In addition to his perfect record, Carwin has gained acclaim because of his collegiate athletic credentials. He was not only a Division II wrestling champion but also a two-time All-American in football.

His strong amateur wrestling credentials coupled with his impressive phyisque have drawn comparisons to another highly-touted UFC heavyweight, Brock Lesnar. Unlike Lesnar, Carwin’s striking is more proven and he has eight pro fights to his credit. The combination of Carwin and Lesnar gives the UFC two blue chip prospects in its heavyweight division and a showdown between the two could be inevitable down the line.

According to Carwin, signing with the UFC was a long-term goal of his.

“I believe the UFC is the NFL of mixed martial arts and I am extremely excited to fight for them,” Carwin said in an exclusive comment to FiveOuncesOfPain.com. “(It’s) a real dream come true.”

• MMAfan says:

That is so exciting, the MMA world has been waiting for this – it’s about time for Carwin. He no doubt will prove his amazing abilities and talents in the ring. Hope to see it very soon.

• You’d think EliteXC would have learned by now not to announce or even tell anybody that they’re working on a fight until it is 100% signed, sealed, and delivered. With Kyle Bradley and now with Shane Carwin, the pending EliteXC deals have only bolstered the UFC’s interest in those fighters and led to both of them getting UFC deals… not that they wouldn’t necessarily have gotten them anyway, but it helped.

• Evan says:

As crazy as it sounds I am much more interested in seeing fresh HW blood in the UFC than I am some of the established names. The entire division across the board needs some new infusion.

Any word on Ben Rothwell Sam? I am very curious to see where he lands with Monte at the helm of M-1.

• Gygax says:

I couldn’t agree more Ivan. Gary Shaw must be spitting nails over this one. His divisions are shallow enough, losing a prospect like this is gonna hurt.

Shane could go in and be a bust. But I doubt it as he has all the tools.

• Evan says:

“You’d think EliteXC would have learned by now not to announce or even tell anybody that they’re working on a fight until it is 100% signed, sealed, and delivered.”

Lets hope they announce Vera soon eh?

• Sam Caplan says:

Evan, I believe Rothwell just got back from his honeymoon. Last thing that I heard was that he wasn’t going to start going over offers until he got back. Hopefully I’ll have an update for you soon.

• Tanner says:

• Evan says:

Thanks Sam. You’re doing an awesome job keeping on top of everything and this is the first MMA site I check now.

“Lets hope they announce Vera soon eh?”- Dang it I meant Barnett

• Evan says:

“I like rothwell but i think he’s getting way to much credit from Monte and M-1, the IFL’s competition isn’t exactly stellar so its hard for me to believe that he’s proven.”

Could not agree more Tanner but I think he has done all he can in lower orgs, lets see him in the big show. Thankfully this isn’t boxing where you can be stowed away for years on end without a true test.

And while it has been a long time he has beaten Tim Sylvia.

• Jeremy says:

Another nice addition for the UFC. Agreed with previous posters, EliteXC has to make sure these guys are signed before anything even leaks out because they are getting burned by this over and over now and it’s really hurting them.

• Gygax says:

Evan – Sylvia beat Rothwell by decision, not the reverse. That fight, Rothwell’s first defeat, lead Rothwell to join MFS alongside Sylvia from what I’ve heard.

• Evan says:

ah, you’re right. I guess I misunderstood something I read about him practicing with Sylvia at MFS. When in doubt, check “fight finder”

• mike wolfe says:

What are Carwin’s stats? Dude looks large in this photo.

• HexRei says:

# # 13 mike wolfe Says:
    January 21st, 2008 at 12:24 am

What are Carwin’s stats? Dude looks large in this photo.

6’4 300 lbs or so IIRC , I looked them up on Sherdog earlier but am having trouble getting the site to pull up the page for me now. Of course he will be at 265 for the UFC, but he’s still bigger than Lesnar and with better credentials imho.

• mike wolfe says:

Holy crap. If he’s 300 lbs in the photo, he’s a friggin’ monster.

• Evan says:

“Shane Carwin MMA Fight Video Highlights”

• […] The UFC has signed undefeated heavyweight prospect Shane Carwin to a multiple-fight contract reports Five Ounces of Pain. […]

• Gygax says:

While he’s weighed 300lbs for most of his fights, he weighed in at the 265lb limit for the last Ring of Fire event, probably so he could show promoters he could make the limit. He dominated UFC vet Sherman Pendergarst in that fight.

Stamina will be the biggest question. That and how he deals with the Octagon nerves.

• D says:

I saw him fight in the Ring of Fire. Carwin absolutely dominated. There wasn’t a single person in the stands that wasn’t sure he would come out the victor. Dude is the real deal and will be a force in the UFC.

• […] a two-time All-American in football. The news of the UFC signing Carwin was exclusively reported right here, at […]