UFC 80 video: Gabriel Gonzaga talks Fabricio Werdum

It might come as a surprise to some, but UFC 80 is actually this weekend!

C’mon people, get excited!!!

There just hasn’t been a lot of hype for the event but “Countdown to UFC 80” is tonight and ESPN.com has made their pre-event video available.

This video contains Gabriel Gonzaga, sporting some very improved English-speaking skills, discussing his upcoming heavyweight encounter with Fabricio Werdum.

I have a ton of respect for Werdum, whose MMA skills have improved greatly in the last year and a half, but if someone knows a way in which he can beat Gonzaga then can you please let me know?

• Rashad #1 says:

Caplan when you find out how Werdum can beat on Gonzaga let me know cuz I havent been able to find one anywhere

• Sam Caplan says:

Rashad, how about size and strength? Gonzaga is a much bigger man. Werdum has great BJJ skills but Gonzaga is no joke. Werdum won’t be able to rely on technique to overcome strength in this situation, Gonzaga has the technique to go with his strength.

On the feet, Gonzaga is simply better. He has more power and will have a reach advantage.

• Derek B. says:

Rashad Just watch Werdum vs. Arvloski for about 100 different ways.

• Rashad #1 says:

If you re-read my question I was agreeing with you Caplan.. Werdum is going to be outclassed bigtime in this fight IMO and I dont see anywhere Werdum is capable of taking it to Gonzaga

• Grape Knee High says:

“I have a ton of respect for Werdum, whose MMA skills have improved greatly in the last year and a half…”

Huh? Werdum is 1-2 in the past 1.5 years and hasn’t really shown that he has improved at all since his debut in PRIDE. His grappling is par excellence but he has trouble on his feet and sometimes has trouble taking it to the ground.

“Gonzaga…will have a reach advantage.”

Considering Gonzaga is only 6’2″ and Werdum is 6’4″, I’d be surprised if Gonzaga has any kind of reach advantage. I’d expect the opposite.

All that said, I think Werdum’s only chance is to take this fight to the ground. We know for the fact that Werdum will probably get killed if they stay standing, but while we know both have elite BJJ, we don’t know who is better at MMA grappling.

• Sam Caplan says:

Grape, record isn’t always indicative of a fighter’s skills. In my estimation, Werdum has shown some strides in his standup.

I also believe Gonzaga is the bigger, stronger fighter. We’ll have to see on Saturday, but I believe Gonzaga has the longer arms.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Gonzaga could gas? I know he trained hard but there are just people who can be in shape but just dont have ze fitness.

But yeah, all in in all i think Gonzaga will have his way with Werdum.

• Grape Knee High says:

Sam, I agree that record doesn’t mean everything but in breaking down Werdum’s last three fights I have to admit that I don’t see where you’re coming from.

Vs. Arlovski – Other than a few bitch slaps, Werum never showed anything. It’s hard to judge Werdum’s improvement because Arlovski never really engaged for fear of Werdum’s grappling.

Vs. Aleks – This fight was quick and efficient. Did he even throw a punch? I don’t remember, but if he did, it was not very many. Aleks looks disinterested in even putting up a fight.

Vs. Big Nog – Werdum put up a decent fight, but he was still dominated in the standup.

Regarding reach, I guess we’ll see. Gonzaga should win, but I think Werdum has a chance. I suspect Werdum’s BJJ is slightly better than Gonzaga and Gonzaga’s takedown defense is not the best. That said, I think Werdum has no heart and he is much more likely to give up in the middle of the tough fight than Gonzaga.

• Jim says:

If Gonzaga held on as long as he did against Couture with that nasty busted nose, I’d imagine he won’t gas in a three-round fight against Werdum. Of course, he might not be as motivated for the non-title fight — but isn’t this the opportunity to avenge a loss? Perhaps his motivation will be equally as high.

• MMA SKOOL ™ says:

People, these two guys have already fought… In some Brazilian jungle event… I think this site had the link. Gonzaga gassed and got pounded. Oh, yeah and Werdum IS A BIGGER DUDE. That’s why it should be a good fight. A rematch. They both need to bring it.