UFC.com’s previews for UFC 81 prove to be very interesting…

ufc81_website

If you head over to the official website for UFC 81 you will get to see the typical event trailer and in depth videos on the main event and co-main events. Both the in-depth videos on Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir and Tim Sylvia vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira are very interesting.

While watching the preview for Lesnar vs Mir, it has become clear in my mind that Lesnar is going to be in for a rude awakening. Mir appears to be very confident in the fact that he’s going to submit Lesnar and I tend to agree with him.

From the way Lesnar is talking it sounds like he believes that his wrestling alone will win him the fight and seems to really be ignorant to jiu jitsu. Others may not get that much from the preview, but I’m getting the feeling that just like Mir vs. Abbott this fight is going to end by submission very quickly.

In the Sylvia vs Nogueira preview I was slightly disappointed but not at all surprised to find absolutely no mention of the Randy Couture situation. There was actually not even a mention of the fact it was an interim title.

The interim title that is being fought for is basically a battle for the vacant heavyweight championship but due to legalities surrounding Couture’s contract it can’t be classified as such. This begs the question however, how long is the UFC prepared to keep up this facade?

Like I said though, you would gather absolutely none of that from the preview without any previous knowledge of the Randy Couture situation.

Head over to the offical website to watch the previews and see if you read as much into them as I did.

• Bdavis says:

As bad as Mir has looked in his last few outings I find it hard to believe he can sub Lesnar. Lesner to too strong for him. Plus Mir has gased in last few outings. IF he gases out quickly, as he usually does, Lesnar will take him down at will and g-n-p him!

• Matt says:

I agree with you on the Lesnar Mir promo. I was a bit surprised at Lesnars tone and the complete lack of respect he was showing Mir. I would not be surprised at all if Lesnar took Mir down very quickly and was just as quickly caught in a very simple submission. As we have often seen, athletic superiority does not necessarily translate into success in the octagon especially for first timers.

Matt

• dizzle says:

I’m sorry to say but I was thinking like you guys that Lesnar couldn’t pull a win off.

But I had to re-evaluate my prediction for this fight. Remember that Lesnar was a NCAA Champion and trust me…he’s a strong dood.

I think that Mir isn’t going to win this fight…I think he is in for a rude awakening when he feels how strong Lesnar is.

• The Bean says:

Lesnar’s wrestiling is solid and it will get him far, and while i’ll agree that jits has made many a wrestler look green…how easy will it be to submit a man who has no neck and is as broad as Lesnar? I respect Mirs BJJ but hes definitely going to have to get creative to tap a guy built like this.

• dizzle says:

If anything Lesnar will have to establish Side Control and hope for a mount to be able to pull a decent win off.

Also, We don’t know much about Lesnar’s chin…so we could see a knockout delivered by Mir also.

• I got Brock by TKO in the 1st round.

I like Mir but he is going to get hit by a HUNGRY BROCK

Nog over Sylvia …. I dont know how or when but I cant stand Tim Sylvia and I think he has Little to no business at the top of the heavy weight division.

• The Bean says:

And whats gonna happen if Mir goes for an armbar or triangle? Were gonna be having Rampage flashbacks as they scrape Frank off the mat. WAR Lesnar!

• Mr. Takedown says:

Mir has taken out most of his opponents in the first round. Als othe body type/size of Mir’s opponents have been his size or slightly smaller. Lesnar’s size and wrestling ability are a big change for Mir to face. I too think Lesnar may just be too strong for Mir – HOWEVER – I think we can all agree that Brock’s MMA inexperience is likely to allow Mir slap on more than a couple submission attempts. Can Brock power out of an armbar or knee lock? That is what will decide this fight.

• Paul Balsom says:

Brock’s GnP looked pretty intense at the K1 Dynamite! show in June. I know his opponent wasn’t any big deal, but Lesnar was intense. If Frank “Murr” pulls out the win, I see Lesnar shooting in, and “Murr” pulling off a quick sub (if he can navigate around Brock’s gargantuan body). I think it’s crazy that Brock is a favorite on the betting lines at -150 to Mir’s +120.

• Rashad #1 says:

Anyone who thinks Lesnar is going into this fight with no jits training or sub defense is going to be sorely disappointed.. Lesnar is a natural athlete and I bet he is picking up everything in the gym like nothing … I dont give mir much of a chance in this fight just based on Lesnars strength alone.. he is going to punch the front of mir’s face into the back of his head :)

• michael says:

I’m not sure those prefight videos show it like it is. It’s more of a propaganda, like All Access is more popcorn and entertainment. Because if you believe W.Silva All Access, he would simply smash Chuck in their fight. And that didn’t happen at all.
    Maybe Lesnar has greatly improbed his submission skills but prefers to hide it. we’ll see.

• dizzle says:

Rashad remember that Lesnar won his first fight by Kamura.

Which makes me feel that he knows submissions. I’m sure he’s training really hard.

I think it will be a good fight no matter who the winner will be.

But lesnar does give off that Pro Wrestling Pre-Fight Hype.

• dizzle says:

Also, Matt I think Lesnar will be able to power out of an armbar…but not a leglock though.

• Paul Balsom says:

Dizzle, he won the first fight by submission via strikes. Ground and pound, man.

WHAT!?!?!

Paul I could have sworn he won from a Kamura.

He should have won by a Kamura.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Paul. I was mistaken. Sorry

• Paul Balsom says:

No worries. Spreading the MMA love.

• dizzle says:

Any news on Daniel Puder and if he’s ever going to fight with the UFC?

• Paul Balsom says:

I personally would love to see Puder house Kurt Angle, but I think Puder needs a little more experience before he takes another step. His last fight at the Playboy Mansion didn’t look too hot. No word yet.

• dizzle says:

I thought he did fairly well when he fought with Bodog.

I think he could be a top fighter with a few more fights under his belt.

Where did they show the playboy mansion fights on?

• Paul Balsom says:

Yahoo! Sports aired it. They’ve been airing the last few Strikeforce cards.

• dizzle says:

I remember seeing Strikeforce on HBO a few times. I just like watching Cung Lee do his crazy kicks.

• Sam Cupitt says:

ESPN just showed Preliminary fights for Strikeforce: Revenge and I saw Puder arm bar some fat dude with farmer tan in 28 seconds. He’s pretty slick when he wants to be, but that 4 and a half minute standing guillotine attempt was pretty feckin stupid.

Brock Lesnar’s win over Min Soo Kim means feck all. The only thing that slightly impressed me was his guard passing, but Soo Kim (or the Korean Bo Cantrell) couldn’t wait to tap.

I see this fight ending either via Lesnar running in and getting caught in a guillotine choke OR Lesnar achieving an awesome slam which makes the crowd wet themselves but then he gets carried away trying to throw huge punches from the guard and Mir locks on an arm bar and breaks Lesnar’s arm.

OR Scenario 3… Mir knocks Lesnar out. He has at least 5 years more kick boxing training.

To Sum Up, Lesnar won’t win.

• dizzle says:

I see it differently now.

I see Lesnar getting him in a power bomb and breaking his neck.

Then after the fight a midget will run out from underneath the ring and start bashing Mir with a metal chair.

BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE!

Ric Flair will repel down from the rafters and then put Mir into the Figure 4 Leg lock to finish his career in MMA.

• dizzle says:

Who’s lesnar training with?

• Paul Balsom says:

I’m pretty sure Lesnar is still up in Minnesota training with a lot of the same guys Sherk is with. The whole WWE thing is funny and all, but I really wouldn’t be counting Lesnar out. I will actually be rooting for him, because he has the potential to bring WAAAAAY more money to MMA then Mir does. I know LOTS of wrestling fans, because I live in TN, and every WWE fan I’ve talked to is psyched for this fight, and most have never bought a UFC PPV.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that “Murr” is high-quality, and there is definitely a high percentage possibility that Mir comes out victorious. However, there’s no way I’m counting out Lesnar. He fought a can in his MMA debut, but that’s not his fault. He went out there and dominated the dude. We’ll see… but this fight is, as Rogan would say, “an amazing matchup between two high-level game opponents.”

correction:

as Rogan would say High “An amazing matchup between two HIGH-level game opponents.”

• Grape Knee High says:

Min-Soo Kim is hardly a “Korean Bo Cantrell”. Kim won the silver medal in Judo at the 1996 Olympics at 95 kg. (Pawel Nastula took gold.) While he might be unimpressive so far in MMA, he is not completely devoid of skill.

I believe it can be rationalized why Lesnar is the favorite, not due so much to the fact that we necessarily know he is better than Mir. Rather, we *know* that Mir is not a good fighter. In his supposed “prime” he barely beat Wes Sims and got destroyed by Ian Freeman, both of whom are journeyman fighters at best and neither of whom are known for their grappling acumen.

Lesnar, on the other hand, looks to possibly have some potential, simply due to his combination of size, strength and quickness. Sure, Kim is not a great MMA fighter, but he has a good Olympic Judo pedigree and Lesnar utterly destroyed him.

Should Mir win? On paper, yes. But to imply that Lesnar has no chance is unjustified Mir fanboyism at best.

• Paul Balsom says:

I completely agree GKH… watch a lot of MASH?

• Captain says:

I’m sure Brock is very strong but some of these comments read like he is The Incredible Hulk come to life. If he gets caught in a tight armbar, he’s tapping. Then he’ll quit MMA and move on to his next fancy (like pro-wrestling or football).

• You can say whatever you want about Brock and pro-wrestling but you cant teach intensity.
    Brock trained with Royce Gracie when he made is switch to MMA so its safe to say he has felt an armbar or two.
    I have seen the man take a legitimate chair shot in the WWE and I doubt frank Mir punches that hard.
    To pull off a submission…. dont you need to actually get control of the opponent?

It would be awesome to see Lesnar do a WWE style suplex on Mir….

• Drewdoodoo says:

Ahhh, but it would be better to see Mir suplex Brock.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Who’s Mir beaten lately that he’s the clear favorite? He lost to Brandon Vera, and then he beat Hardonk. Vera isn’t a true heavyweight, and no offense, but Hardonk isn’t top tier. I’d bet on Lesnar.

• Shawn says:

Everyone who keeps talking about how wrestlers think they can just use their wrestling and are ignorant to jiu-jitsu and how Brock is in for a strong awakening – you’re completely missing the point. And by completely I mean entirely, whole heartedly, 100%, in no way close – that kind of completely.

There is no questioning Frank’s jiu-jitsu as it translates to MMA nor is their questioning the fact that Frank is a solid overall MMA fighter. What everyone needs to understand is that when Frank was coming up the ranks – even as late as 02, 03, 04 – many fighters were still very one dimensional. Mir relied on his jiu-jitsu to win him fights as opposed to now we’re there are so many guys that are not just solid but good at everything. In the current world of mixed martial arts – as opposed to when Mir was coming up – EVERYONE understands that you need to be knowledgeable of everywhere a fight could go to have a shot at winning. Also, which is even bigger in my opinion, fighters are making the money where they are able to train full time. Training full time means you have the time in your weekly schedule to spend hours wrestling, boxing, doing muay thai, and rolling on the mats doing jiu-jitsu.

What does all this mean? Despite what the video depicts Brock has been training fully in MMA for over two years. Does this mean his jiu-jitsu is close to where Mir’s is at? No, of course not. But we all need to remember a few things about that as well. Two years full time for an athlete like Brock means that he has become more than able to recognize what to do immediately in certain situations. This means that he’s not going to get easily submitted in a simple move. We also need to remember that BJJ for a BJJ competition isn’t the same as BJJ for MMA; there are other things that can happen. Mir could simply display his superior jiu-jitsu and Brock’s strength might cause things to take longer, giving Brock the time necessary for a GnP. Or Mir could get the submission. But counting out the strong possibility of Brock being not only strong enough but knowledgable enough on the ground to hang around for a bit is straight ignorance.

Mir is much better at BJJ then Brock. Brock is much better at wrestling than Mir. Brock is much stronger than Mir. Mir has never displayed superior striking and Brock has never had the opportunity. While Brock’s chin is untested, Mir has never had a battle like Bonnar-Griffin I, Stout-Fisher II, or Liddell-Silva to prove he has a granite chin or to prove he has a soft chin either. Watching Brock do a shooting star press at a Wrestlemania a few years back and landing on his head only to stand up shows me the guy isn’t easily knocked out but then again that isn’t the same as getting punched in the face.

This fight can go either way and to think that Brock is ignorant to what it takes to succeed in top level mixed martial arts is ignorance in itself. Brock, his management, and especially the UFC all have a lot of time and money invested into this fight and if Brock wasn’t equipped with the proper tools to potentially win this fight wouldn’t be happening. Period.

• mike wolfe says:

Yeah, me too. But the biggest question in my mind about Lesnar is his gas tank. A guy that big could be struggling early if Mir pushes the pace.

• Grape Knee High says:

LOL at Mir “pushing the pace”. The only time Mir pushes the pace is at Krispy Kreme.

• Bdavis says:

G-N-H…..my point exactly!

• Shawn says:

Lesnar isn’t the the build of a regular heavyweight that you would see gas out. The guys one of the best college wrestlers ever and to succeed at that level you need to have outstandidng cardio. Say what you want about WWE wrestlers but you also need to a tremendous amount of cardio to put on the type of quality matches Lesnar would perform on a nightly basis. This dude isn’t shaped like Justin McCully; he’s a brick shit house of a man.

• Sam Cupitt says:

He’s packin a shit load of muscle, that usually doesn’t aid cardio too well.

• mike wolfe says:

Mir better come ready to push it. Given his last few fights, he has to be on the bubble with UFC. Lesnar is being hyped by UFC as the next big thing. If Mir is reading between the lines, he should realize that he’s being relegated to the role of gatekeeper or stepping stone.

• Rashad #1 says:

Syliva thinks thye are feeding Lesnar to Mir so they can set up Sylvia vs Mir 2 – last time they tried NSAC wouldnt allow the fight sayign it was a mismatch so Sylvia wants Mir to win… Sylvia is an idiot sometimes

• dizzle says:

Sylvia is just a McDoucheBag plain and simple.

He’s just some tall linky lackluster fighter that looks like a mix between Swamp Thing and the Toxic Avenger.

He needs to join the circus or the army or something.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Well, I’m not one of the Sylvia haters, but I agree that he’s misreading the situation. A re-match between Mir and him wouldn’t be a big draw. If Lesnar wins, particularly if he wins in a spectacular way, he’s flavor of the month and subsequent fights attract more viewers, including a fight with Sylvia. Striker vs. wrestler is a classic match-up.

• platypus says:

grape is funni

• fun of ufc says:

mir well win noguira well win i do not like silvia hi is a jerk