Kurt Angle responds to Ken Shamrock and IFL commissioner Kurt Otto

It’s been a pretty busy news day in MMA today but the news keeps coming.

Kurt Angle, via JarryPark.com, has responded to public comments made recently by Ken Shamrock and IFL commissioner Kurt Otto during a recent edition of “Inside MMA” on HDNet.

I did not see the show, but according to Ariel Helwani from Jarry Park, the gist of the statements made by Otto and Shamrock were the following:

Basically, Otto said that after Angle sat in the front row at an IFL event in September 2007 he got cold feet and decided against fighting Shamrock at an IFL event. Shamrock then implied that Angle was scared to go toe-to-toe with “The World’s Most Dangerous Man.”

Helwani asked Angle why he backed out of a possible deal with the IFL. Angle responded by saying:

“That’s because they tried to force a fight with me and Ken in two and a half months. (It’s) not enough time to take off from TNA and train for a fight. They rushed it…I would have never been ready. They didn’t care. He just wanted PPV buys.”

Angle is also taking issue with a growing reputation in MMA circles that he’s milking a possible entry into the sport simply for the sake of generating headlines:

My rep in MMA is that I back out. No I don’t. Usually they back out of the deal because of my price. I want giant money. Usually they say they will pay me what I want then they change it and tell me they will pay me on the back end. I want it up front PERIOD.”

Helwani writes that he doubts we’ll see Angle in an IFL ring. I tend to agree. And as someone who at one point was convinced we’d see Angle in MMA, I am now convinced we never will. If he was serious about doing it, he would have done it by now. The money was there when he first left the WWE and the UFC made him a strong offer.

And for the record, if Angle and Shamrock ever fought, my money would be on Angle.

Click here to read Helwani’s entire post on Angle’s latest comments.

• bubbafat says:

Kurt Angle is a dominant wrestler with little or no submission skills. He’d come in and try to do exactly what Tito did. The only thing is Tito has good wrestling positioning AND submission defence. I see Angle dominating a first round, but Shamrock locking on an arm bar or even more likely a heel hook/leglock of some kind. The second Shamrock exerts any pressure into a submission, Angle’s going to tap like a baby, ’cause he’s not a fighter.
    Rich Franklyn has had a bad ankle and foot since he fought Shamrock(a la DEEP heel hook). Some people think it was the Loiseau fight but I think that just aggravated it. The point is Rich Franklyn’s foot was contorted well past Kurt Angle’s tapping point, and Rich has got some good sub defence.

• Evan says:

You know what Kurt..STFU and go away.

• Rashad #1 says:

Bubbafat you are aware of Kurt’s tapping point> have you ever had him in a leglock or a heel hook?

• Asa says:

Yeah. Good luck grabbing a heelhook on him Bubba, I’m sure Ken’ll be just a razor-precise in its application as he was against Frye, someone who hadn’t spent 10 years basing his career on applying and designing escapes from \ heel hooks from various positions.

Even in pro-wrestling, you have to understand the technique, if only to avoid hurting your opponent. But thats ok, pro-wrestling is icky and has cooties so you can ignore anything of value he may’ve learned from it.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Apart from the occasional kneebar attempt, Shamrock’s guard isn’t really that dangerious.

But I still think Shamrock would dominate Angle, because I believe at heavyweight Shamrock has much better takedown defense. I think a fight between the two would go like Shamrock Fujita except without Shamrock quitting because he got tired.

• bubbafat says:

Hell no, If I tried a heel hook on that guy MY leg would snap. You’re absolutely right , Angle has Olympic calibre wrestling , and Pro wrestling skills. Has he ever applied them in a fight where he’s getting punched in the face? Ultimately my point breaks down to that. Is he a fighter? No. He would have put on the gloves by now.
    Shamrock may not have a good guard, but he knows the stuff well enough. And his knee bars and heel hooks are pretty damned crazy man.

• jackal says:

I can’t believe so many people think Angle will win, wow. So he has a medal, whats he gonna do to Shamrock, pin him? Fact of the matter is that Shamrock has been fighting forever while Angle has never been in a real fight (at least not in a ring). Angle is not Tito and is gonna get a BJJ/boxing lesson if he ever fights.

• Scott says:

“I can’t believe so many people think Angle will win, wow. So he has a medal, whats he gonna do to Shamrock, pin him?”

Do you have any idea what kind of strategic thinking (short and long term), preparation, training, physical talent, discipline, mindset, mental and physical strength, mental and physical endurance it takes to become an Olympic Medalist in wrestling?????? Olympic Gold medalists in wrestling are the elite of the elite of the elite.

Kurt would take the same approach to dominating in the UFC as he did in the Olympics…prepare, prepare, prepare. With 29 yrs experience in M.A. myself I’ve mad respect for both Shamrock and Kurt…but, I’d put my money on Kurt.

“Angle is not Tito and is gonna get a BJJ/boxing lesson if he ever fights.”
    You are right. Angle is not Tito… Tito is no Olympic gold medalist. That’s something Angle has over Tito. Whoever fights Kurt will walk away with great respect for Angle… and wrestling… and pro-wrestlers…guaranteed.

• King says:

My money would be on Kurt. Ken would have easily beaten him when he was in his prime, but now Shamrock is fading and his recent MMA matches prove it. And if some of you don’t think pro wrestlers can’t take a punch, spend some time backstage at a small event and watch. Even though it’s supposed to be fake, wrestlers hit each other for real quite often, most of the times to get even for something (and the offender gets away with it because everyone watching thinks its fake)