Baroni says he’s received offers from the WEC, EliteXC, and Japan

Phil Baroni indicates that he could resume fighting as early as March and that he has received recent offers to resume his fighting career from promotions such as EliteXC and WEC, he reveals in a new interview with PunchDrunkGamer.com:

I received an offer from Showtime’s Elite XC. And I received one from the WEC – which to me is different then the UFC, it’s a step down. I don’t see guys moving up to the UFC; I think there will always be WEC fighters. I don’t want to do that. I have a lot more fights in me then that. But I’ve received offers from Showtime and a new show in Japan that just opened up. I’m trying to figure out what I am doing next, but first I need to get in shape before I can do anything.

Baroni recently became eligible to fight after a one-year suspension levied by the California State Athletic Commission for testing positive for steroids following a June 22 fight vs. Frank Shamrock was reduced to six months.

Baroni would seem like ideal fits for both EliteXC and the WEC. Despite an unimpressive 10-8 record, his charismatic personality has allowed him to become a highly marketable fighter in mixed martial arts.

The Zuffa-owned WEC has been looking for name middleweight fighters for the past several months following the departures of Joe Riggs and Jason “Mayhem” Miller. The promotion had been negotiating with Frank Trigg at one point and was believed to have had an interest in Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza.

The WEC, which is looking to hold shows outside of Las Vegas in 2008, would be able to promote a potential fight between Baroni and the promotion’s current middleweight champion, Paulo Filho that could attract a lot of interest.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF THIS ARTICLE ON SAM CAPLAN’S PROELITE.COM BLOG

• Evan says:

Baroni wants big name talent money for mediocre results. But, I would love to see him in the EliteXC.

• Brad says:

It’s funny that Baroni complains that WEC fighters have not been moving up to the UFC, because suprise suprise…that’s the point. Zuffa is trying to build the WEC brand using their own fighters. While I think we all can agree that it is not and will not be at the level of a UFC, it’s certainly at the level of any other MMA organization.

• mike wolfe says:

Wil the Japanese organizations test for steroids? If not, I wonder how much that factors into Baroni’s plans. He’d be tested in WEC, which isn’t the mediocre organization he suggests. Maybe stiffer competition in that organization is a factor, too.

• Evan says:

Now that I think about it…didn’t Dana say he would be in the UFC if he beat Frank before his last fight?

• Sam Caplan says:

Yep, Dana did say that apparently. But Phil didn’t win so he should give the WEC offer serious thought. It wouldn’t be a bad spot for him.

• Jeremy says:

Wow, I am surprised he is so down on being in the WEC right now. With the potential exposure he could get(with them being on Versus) I’d think it would be good for him. Plus any bout short of Filho or Sonnen would be a showcase basically to watch him knock someone out. And I am sure if he did well in the WEC his value once the contract ended would go up more then it is now, considering the exposure he would also get from it to the mainstream fans.

• Evan says:

Jeremy

One thing I have learned as I have followed sports through the years is how little some athletes follow their respective sport. He probably doesn’t really get what the WEC is. Maybe he thinks is some sort of deluxe “TUF” League where you work your way up through a ladder.

• UFCPreview says:

Baroni would get DESTROYED by Filho, he wouldn’t be able to stop his takedowns. If Shamrock can smack Baroni around, then Filho could kill him (literally)

• paddiosf says:

Baroni is washed up in my opinion, the only good thing about Baroni is that he’s a character on camera….his window of closed years back when he lost to Pete Sell…

• bubbafat says:

New York Bad Ass would have his ass handed to him by Filho or Sonnen. Prangley, Horn, Santiago, Rivera, SELL!!! All respectable, high calibre MMA practitioners who didn’t quite make a big enough impression in the UFC.
    He should take the WEC and ask for some cans to build up his stock.

• […] this new interview with Baroni he says that he has received offers from EliteXC, WEC and a new show in […]