Gamburyan’s real dream match-up?

One of the more surprising comments coming from UFC 79 occurred in a post-fight interview with Ultimate Fighter Season 5 runner-up Manny Gamburyan:

I would rather fight Nate Diaz than fight for the belt,” said Gamburyan.

Now clearly Gamburyan is not near a title shot, but to say that he would rather fight Diaz than the champion (whoever it may turn out to be)? That rings a bit strange. Shouldn’t the goal of all the fighters be to win the championship?

Nonetheless, I’d have to think a rematch with Diaz is inevitable. Hopefully, they’ll schedule it for an UFC Fight Night in the not-so-distant future.

• Zane says:

If Nate wins his next fight, which will be his 2nd Fight Night in only 2 fights, he will absolutely be on a PPV card next time out. And fighting a big name, I think Manny needs two wins before fighting Nate. I would love to see it though.

• hhhhh says:

Contact Frankie Edgar’s camp and ask when is he fighting net and who against

• Sam Caplan says:

Last we heard was that Edgar was still waiting to hear back about a date and an opponent.

• Rln says:

Gamburyan is a dude with a big ego and a lot of pride so I can certainly understand his desire to vindicate a lose he probably feels shouldn’t have on his record.

• Kieran says:

hmm.. my comment about the gomi-edgar fight was deleted… how odd.

• visi0n says:

Think of it this way.. Who wants to be the champ that’s getting paid 16k a fight?
    Might as well use his contract time to fight the personal battles first… Then when its time to be a main eventer, you can be making main event paydays.

• Sam Caplan says:

There’s nothing odd. You put out misinformation and attributed a fabricated quote in my name. All libelous comments get deleted.

• Dizzle says:

Go get SAM!

• jjdnb says:

I dont see a problem with this statement Manny has made. He is nowhere near being ready for a title shot so why ask for one?
    He’s a smart guy and knows that he needs to hone his still before taking on top tier competition. Fight and defeating Diaz would be a step in the right direction for him.

• bigfish042 says:

To bad for Manny, this fight wont happen for a while. the UFC has to market Nate and TUF as a brand. They will feed him a few cans to make him look like the next big thing.

They will not take a chance like they did with Hammil/Bisping. Hammil always said he should of been TUF 4. And as about 85 plus percent of viewers thought Bisping lost…..Hammil would of probably easily beat Bisping on TUF 4.

Although Manny would of probably won the fight, barring that injury…….The UFC will not let a rematch happen for at least a few fights, just to give Nate a few wins

• Captain says:

I don’t see anything strange about the Anvil wanting to avenge his loss. Sadly for him I think his shoulder will get dislocated again in one of his fights if he continues to fight without having the corrective surgery.

Now what’s the deal with Gomi and Edgar? Sam, do you have dirt on this?