MMA award winners for ’07; new CBSSports.com column

My latest CBSSports.com is now available for your reading pleasure.

For this week’s topic, I decided to name my award winners in MMA for 2007. Categories include:

• Fighter of the Year
  • Promotion of the Year
  • Card of the Year
  • Match of the Year
  • Most Improved Fighter of the Year
  • Breakthrough Fighter of the Year
  • And much more!

Click here to read the article.

Special thanks to Luke Thomas of BloodyElbow.com, Adam Morgan of FiveOuncesOfPain.com, and Jordan Breen of Sherdog.com for their assistance in determining winners in each category.

• dizzle says:

I couldn’t agree with you more on alot of your picks.

• Evan says:

Interesting choices. I love the WEC pick.

Did you consider a dissapointment of the year? For me that would have been Cro Cop. Or perhaps Shamrock vs Gracie.

Not sure I agree with the Shamrock vs Baroni fight even for honorable mention. Pretty one sided.

• ttt says:

“Diaz exposed how Pride had been protecting Gomi for years, but with the way he had been promoted, it sure seemed like a huge upset at the time.”

certainly was an upset, but how was Gomi “protected for years”, he was with the org for 3 years and he’s fought some pretty good fighters

i agree with not choosing it as fight of the year, it was definitely sloppy.

• Zack says:

Very interesting picks.

I wouldn’t have put Shamrock v Baroni in my top 20, (maybe not even top 50) of the year, and I’d go with Anderson over Rampage by just a smidge.

Rampage was shaky against Eastman and we didn’t get to see much of him against Chuck; that really on leaves his fight with Hendo to truly evaluate him. He won a tough decision and looked great, but it’s still a decision.

In effect Anderson defended his belt three times (Lutter weight technicality aside) and looked incredibly dominant in 2 fights and came back from a tough position to submit Lutter. That impresses me more.

• Sam Caplan says:

Zack, I don’t think you can discount Rampage’s win over Chuck. We didn’t get to see much of him in that fight because he took care of business and put Chuck down. I kind of feel like you’re penalizing he guy for winning decisively.

TTT, in regard to Gomi, three years = years. He fought some good fighters, but not enough. He fought some cans as well and fought in non-title fights. Gomi is a great puncher but is not as well-rounded as other 155-160 lbs. fighters. He’s a good fighter, but was not the number 1 lightweight in the world like PRIDE promoted him as.

• Jake says:

Sam,

I think that you and your panelists should have waited for 2007 to end first before you started dishing out awards. UFC 79 just ended and Chuck vs Wanderlei deserves to be nominated for fight of the year. How Wanderlei remained standing is still beyond me. That guy is a stud for taking a beating like that and not getting KO’d.

Sokoudjou got schooled tonight just like the other break out fighter of the year: Houston Alexander. So does Sokoudjou still deserve his award? I don’t think so.

Yarenoka hasn’t even happened yet and you’ve already cut all of those fighters out of the awards.

Don’t make the same mistake next year. At least wait for the year to finish first!

• Sam Cupitt says:

I agree with you on Gomi. Against all the american lightweights who are good wrestlers, it would show pretty quickly that Gomi isnt the top lightweight.

He’s pretty damn clueless off his back.