“Big John” to Make Broadcasting Debut this Weekend

After officially joining The Fight Network on December 7, “Big” John McCarthy is looking to quickly step into his broadcasting position. On December 14, McCarthy will make his broadcasting debut alongside Mauro Ranallo for the TKO “Young Guns” event at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec.

“I can’t wait to hear their first call together in Montreal,” said Mike Garrow, Co-Founder and Senior Vice President, Strategy, The Fight Network. “Play by play is so important in the fight game, and to team up Mauro Ranallo and ‘Big’ John McCarthy to call the action is going to be awesome for MMA fans who value and appreciate knowledgeable, experienced and credible commentators.”

TKO’s “Young Guns” fight card will air on PPV on January 4, 2008.

• Tom K says:

Stupid question, but when there are broadcasters at a live event, does the audio of what they’re saying get played so the crowd can hear them while the fight is happening?

• Rashad #1 says:

Nah that would be a little distracting for the fighters involved

• Evan says:

Tom K

I believe if they have a FM tuner they can tune to a radio station and hear it like other sporting events. I could be wrong.

• From my experience at UFC events, nothing that is said in the broadcasting booth ever makes it to the fans in the crowd. At UFC 77 we didn’t even hear them announce Brock Lesnar as a new signing. I saw him sitting down there and saw him with Goldie and Rogan so I just came to my own conclusions but they never announced it nor do you ever hear anything that’s going on in the broadcast booth.

• Evan says:

OK, well scratch what I said. I thought they rebroadcasted some fights on a FM channel.

• Dizzle says:

Does joe rogan announce high at every event?

• Rashad #1 says:

#6
    Yes… Yes he does

• Little John says:

Where is the sense in this? The fight is this weekend, the PPV is THREE weeks later? Amateur, amateur, amateur. Why would anyone who follows the sport be interested in buying the event so long after the fact?