Is Matt Hughes a good role model?

Matt Hughes was a guest on Steve Cofield’s sports talk show in Las Vegas on Fox Sports Radio 1460 the other day and discussed his experience on this past season of The Ultimate Fighter.

At one point, Cofield asked Hughes if what he saw of Matt Serra during the airing of the show changed his viewpoint of him:

“I definitely know who he is now. I didn’t know he was such a bad guy,” said Hughes. “Is he somebody that you’re going to let your kids watch? I just think he’s a bad role model. I want my kids to look at me. Do what I do, say what I say. I don’t think Matt Serra can do that with his kids.”

It’s this type of hypocrisy that has caused me to lose a lot of respect for Hughes. When Hughes takes this stance he implies that he is also a suitable role model. Every parent has to make their own decisions about their children but as a father of an eight-year old, I would not want my son to emulate certain qualities that Hughes embodies.

Hughes works hard, has never quit in a fight, and is successful in his craft. Those are attributes I’d like for my son to possess. However, my son is enrolled in jiu-jitsu classes and I would hope he would never display the physical disregard of a training partner that Hughes showed against Dan Barrera just prior to Barrera’s fight vs. Ben Saunders.

I’d also hope that my son never develops the same arrogant attitude that Hughes demonstrated during the past season of TUF. I’d like my son to be humble and show his peers respect and treat them as equals. If he carries the ego that Hughes has, he’ll find it tough to make friends at his elementary school and might not be allowed to train at the BJJ school where he’s currently enrolled.

My point is that Hughes needs to stop passing judgment on others and needs to analyze certain aspects of his own behavior. He’s far from perfect.

There’s also another interesting exchange during the interview that I decided to transcribe on my own. At the end of the interview, Cofield asked Hughes about Serra’s back injury:

Steve Cofield: What do you think of his injury? I heard you make some comments on it. He’s got some herniated disks.

Matt Hughes: Actually, I’ve not made any comments on it. I’ve had back problems myself. I’ve got three bulged disks that I had to take care of, so I know that there’s a tremendous amount of pain. Honestly, he needs to get well and it could take years, to be honest. Herniated disks are a bad thing. If he’s got two herniated disks, then he shouldn’t be fighting. He should probably be in a wheel chair, to be honest, because it is bad.

First, if Hughes insists he’s never commented about Serra’s injury, he might want to click here and talk to whoever is in charge of Matt-Hughes.com and ask them who issued the statement.

Second, I will give Hughes some credit for now showing respect towards Serra and his current condition.

Click here to listen to the complete interview.

I am also curious to hear everyone’s thoughts as to whether they believe Hughes is a good role model for children?

• PhilB says:

Is he a good role model?? I think the Idea of Matt Hughes is better than the actual reality of the situation. He has proven himself to be a poor teacher TWICE. But in the arena of role model, there is the guy they talk about and then the guy they show us. This my friends is two different guys. The UFC talks about a CLASS champion , TUF shows us a miserable person who is way to cool and talented to bother with these new fighters unless they came prepared to win. Win despite training with him. This isn’t exactly the guy I want my son to grow and become.

After the Cameras are all shut off. would I trust this man with my children?? I’m not sure, I KNOW I wouldn’t trust him around my wife or girlfriend. So behind the scenes I guess it’s a big thumbs down as well.

SO my final answer would be NOPE, not such a good role model.

• Shawn says:

With Matt Hughes we’re looking at a guy who spent the first half of the TUF6 season condemning his fighters for losing and making them feel like hell while wiping his own hands clean; then when guys started to win or show progress he would take all the credit. Look at his coaching ability; all of his fighters lost in the pre-lims. Add that in with his comments toward the Militech camp upon leaving despite the fact that those guys molded him into the champion he was. Despite any hard feelings he might have personally had, all he had to say pubicly was something like “I will never forget what the folks at MFS have done for my career but at this point I have made a personal decision to start a new chapter in my professional life.”

And he continuously bashes Serra in interviews about not being a role model but gives no explanation as to why. On top of that earlier on all he did was talk about how Serra would bash him and he would never do that. What’s he doing now? His entire criticism of Serra is because the guy calls him a “dick” in interviews, which he is by any definition of the word. Hughes basically claims that kids are watching and shouldn’t hear that word. I don’t know about anyone else but I’d much rather hear my kid hear some guy get called a dick who happens to be a dick than a guy who is supposed to be a role model champion constantly making arrogant hypocritical remarks.

• Wang Chung says:

hughes doesn’t understand his own makeup man. serra is your classic italian long islander…he doesn’t mince words and has no problem saying them. hughes though…he has a self image of being this super successful guy who’s guardian is god. so while serra’s comments are eating him up inside with rage and uber-competitiveness, he can’t very well put it out there the way serra does. instead he clings on to really absurd shit and then tries to link it in some disparaging but underhanded way to serra as a person, fighter, or coach. so because serra swears about hughes, he’s a bad person. he’s just bad all over because he swears. i mean, that’s not the greatest measuring stick for somebody’s being. or recently on his post episode blog he underhandedly called serra’s coaching into question because he felt it was serra’s resposibility to keep warmachine, hightower, and mandoliz from behaving so badly at the house.

• Wang Chung says:

as for the dick thing and kids hearing it…does matt have any idea how many times his kids probably hear that word in a week and it rolls off their back? words like that are apart of a kids lexicon growing up. and the effect it has on a kids moral fiber is miniscule.

• drdanders says:

It cracks me up when someone passes judgement on someone for passing judgement on someone else…kinda hypocritical.
    It’s a catch 22…if you don’t know him personaly, you may not be getting to see the man as a whole, complete person. If you do know him personaly, you may not be objective.
    Does he appear to have an inflated ego? Sure. So did Ali, Roy Jones Jr., and Floyd Mayweather.
    I can argue the pros and cons about his proffesional career (but thats not what this thread is about), but to pass judgement on him as a person, I’m not qualified.

• Tanner says:

we can add another hypocratical oath to hughes’ mantra, He basically said that if he was matt serra that he would have cornered one of this guys when it was team serra vs team serra. Hughes never had to deal with that on the show but the finale is hughes vs hughes and he stated he wouldn’t corner anyone. Probably for the same reason as serra. The thing is that Tommy Speer has been trianing with matt hughes since the show and i would think he would want to corner him.

I guess my point is that it seems Hughes isn’t aware of his hypocratical oathes.

• mike wolfe says:

The question on the table was whether Hughes is a good role model. The only specific criticism against him was that he was too tough on one of his fighters during TUF. That’s really weak, even if true, because it doesn’t really have much to do with being a role model. It’s probably incorrect, anyway, because the two fighters in the finale are both from his team. Serra ran his mouth throughout the show about how he is the better coach, but where are his better coached fighters? On the undercard. If coaching is the measure of whether Hughes is a good role model and he isn’t a good role model despite two fighters in the finale, where does that leave Serra?

The other criticism of Hughes is that he is arrogant, but there are no specific instances cited. The fact that he said Serra isn’t a good role model in an interview seems very restrained in light of the entire TUF season. Serra made him the subject of numerous profane diatribes to which Hughes did not respond. If Serra talked that way about any of the people who defend him, they’d be pretty offended. Is the message here that you’re worthy of respect only if you’re some loud mouthed buffoon who can’t express himself without resorting to vulgar language?

Maybe the animosity directed towards Hughes stems from his values, which are always threatening to people who don’t share them. There’s an old Chinese proverb that says that the nail that stands up gets pounded down. Don’t hate the guy just because he may be trying harder than you are. That just makes you look small.

• Wang Chung makes a good point about the criticism of language use. I mean, does anyone really believe that swear words pose a serious danger to children’s moral fiber? As if keeping them from hearing the word ‘dick’ will keep them out of trouble. If that’s Hughes’ viewpoint, he must really want his kids to stay away from Dana White.

• mike wolfe says:

So what’s the point? Are you suggesting that bad language makes you a good role model, or are you suggesting that it’s no big deal? Those are two different propositions. As far as bad language goes, do you mean to suggest that it wouldn’t bother you if somebody talked that way in front of your kids, your wife/girl friend, or mother? If that would bother you, why criticize Hughes for saying the same thing? If you have no problem with somebody talking that way in front of your mom or wife, for pity’s sake, maybe you need to rethink a few things. And as far as Dana White is concerned, I’ll bet he’s smart enough to adjust his vocabulary for his surroundings. Talk that way in a business setting and see how far it gets you.

• Shawn says:

Wow I feel like you didn’t read what any of the criticisms of Hughes were.

“The only specific criticism against him was that he was too tough on one of his fighters during TUF.”

No. That was not the only criticism of Hughes but only part of it. Hughes criticized Serra’s coaching when a few of his fighters played a prank in the house. First off, that was a personal decision made by those guys that had nothing to do with Serra’s coaching. Secondly, Hughes straight up injured or otherwise hurt a few of his fighters, not just Dan Barrera. But that is not the only specific criticism – the main point here is that despite Hughes physical dominance in the octagon, from a personal stand point he comes out with many hypocritical remarks. Go back and read the previous posts because I’m not going to repeat them because you didn’t read.

“Serra ran his mouth throughout the show about how he is the better coach, but where are his better coached fighters? On the undercard.”

I’m not sure what show you watched but Serra really didn’t run his mouth about how he was the better coach. From what I gather he mainly would point out the game plan he was giving his guys to use their strengths to beat Hughes. On top of that his interviews consisted of poking fun of Hughes as a person but not much to do with coaching ability. On top of that, if you watched the same show as I did, Serra’s guys won 6 out of 8 of the prelim fights. Mac Danzig was a guy from Hughes team who won and he should’ve been in the UFC already. Danzig has almost 30 fights and was going against guys who he clearly outmatched; Danzig could probably give Hughes a run for his money in the octagon. Point is Danzig’s victories have absolutely nothing to do with Hughes. Tommy Speer on the other hand I’m sure picked up a few things from Hughes but in the fights he won he was caught in chokes, traingles, and arm bars before muscling his way out and using wrestling to win. Again, doesn’t seem like he learned much technique from anyone to win. If you want to compare coaching you can’t use the fact that Hughes has two guys in the finale while forgetting how Serra’s team dominated everyone else on his team.

“The other criticism of Hughes is that he is arrogant, but there are no specific instances cited.”

Arrogance? Hughes, on multiple occasions, got completely down on his fighters if they lost despite putting in a great effort, blaming them for a lack of heart or whatever else it is he said. When they won, he took a lot of credit. When Dan Barrera lost a close decision and Dana White was talking about what a performance the kid had, Hughes bad mouthed his performance despite the fact that Hughes injured the kid before the fight. On top of that in another episode he threatened to walk off the show because his guys were losing – taking absolutely zero responsibility for the fighters losses and making the event about him as a coach rather than about the growth of the fighters. While it’s true that you’re on your own and responsible for yourself in the octagon, a coach has to take some of the blame when his team goes 6-2. Putting your ego in terms of wins and losses as a coach ahead of the fighters you are there to teach as the next generation of fighters? I think that might be arrogance.

“Is the message here that you’re worthy of respect only if you’re some loud mouthed buffoon who can’t express himself without resorting to vulgar language?”

Serra called him a dick. That was stemming from his disrespect towards GSP on an earlier season of TUF and his overall jock-like demeanor. Dick may be a vulgar word to some people but it wasn’t the only way he expressed himself. You’re in a house and a gym with a group of grown men who are training to beat the shit out of other men inside of a cage – it’s okay to use bad words.

“Maybe the animosity directed towards Hughes stems from his values, which are always threatening to people who don’t share them.”

No, it’s not. The only animosity towards Hughes about his values would be the time when he handed out Bibles to the fighters. First off, he’s supposed to be getting them prepared to fight, not preaching religion. Secondly there are those who share different beliefs – whether they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or Aetheist – and passing out Bibles isn’t the best way to boost morale. It was just an awkward thing to do. On top of that there’s nothing wrong with someone who believes in the values of the Christian faith – it can only help you be a better person if anything. But you can’t preach what you don’t practice. Matt Serra is a Christian who might not necessarily be a devout religious man but saying his beliefs are threatening just doesn’t hold any water.

Point is Hughes accomplishments in the octagon and as champion are unparalleled and will probable never be matched. But the way he came across on many occasions during this season of TUF rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and for a reason. Using naughty words on a show filled with all adult fighters whose target demographic is males ages 18-34 has no reflection of a person’s character whatsoever. What reflects your character is how you treat others. Hughes repeatedly beat his fighters up physically and mentally for no reason while Serra congratulated his guys in both victory and defeat for all their hard work and dedication. I remember on one occasional where Serra went into the Team Hughes locker room to congratulate a fighter on an amazing job in a close defeat while Hughes moaned that the guy didn’t “follow the game plan.”

• Dizzle says:

See I thought differently.

All of my coaches that I’ve ever had were like Hughes…and I respect that. And we always had the best wrestling team and baseball team in our district.

I think that Hughes and Serra are both great people. Seeing someone on TV or reading an interview doesn’t do you justice when trying to get to know the real person.

Everyone here is a hypocrit from time to time…it’s called nature.

• mike wolfe says:

I’m not sure you understand the definition of hypocritical. If Hughes criticized some of the fighters or Serra because of the practical joke, it’s only hypocritical if he’d done the same thing. Same point about his training sessions. Even if he was too rough on some of the fighters, where’s the supposed hypocricy?

As far as Serra’s coaching, your arguments aren’t consistent. On the one hand you suggest that Serra was a good coach when his fighters won early, but then give Hughes little credit for the success of the finalists. You can’t have it both ways and pretend to be objective. Either the coaches helped the fighters and contributed to their success or they didn’t. If the coaching helped, Hughes has to get more credit than Serra for having the two finalists.

Arrogance? Not really. Hughes’ disappointment in how some of the fighters competed may have been unfair, but that’s not arrogance, at least not according to a dictionary. Besides, were his statements about some of them not following instructions or game plans incorrect? If not, the worst you can say is that his statements were blunt.

Vulgar language: It would be hypocritical if Hughes used profanity in the house or the gym but didn’t use it in other settings. Or if he criticized Serra for profanity but used it himself. You seem to be criticizing Hughes because he wasn’t hyprocritical in this regard. The fact that he was consistent on this does reflect his character in the sense that it demonstrates his traits or characteristics.

• curt o says:

Hughes is a hypocrite, terrible coach, has no respect, and bad role model.

• guy gaduois says:

Generally, I’m going to say that a guy who punches people in the face may have some different motivations for social interaction.

I think most of these guys are warriors, and in another time, their jobs would be to fight wars. Without a war to fight, they hone their physicality and find a way to impose their will on others. The fact that these atheletes do this in socially acceptable way and earn a living doing it means that they are role models for those who appeal to their individual personality type.

If your kid has that same warrior mentality, it’s your responsibility to point them towards a role model – and BE a role model for them – so that you will continue throughout life to have connecting points with them and develop commonly held values, and continue to enable a dialogue of encouragement, teaching, love and support.

If you’re not trying to shape your kid, you will be the only person in the world NOT trying to influence them. So influence them toward good.

Now, if you want to debate what is “good”, that’s a whole different thread.

• Shawn says:

Hmm maybe I don’t understand what being a hypocrite is. When Serra had two of his fighters going against each other he said he wasn’t going to corner either of them because it would be unfair to the other guy. Hughes bashed him for that because he found it to be disrespectful in some way to the fighters. If you look at the press conference on UFC.com Hughes, in regards to two fighters from his team fighting each other, says he isn’t going to corner either of them. Also, in earlier interviews Hughes kept talking about how Serra was publicly bashing him and he couldn’t understand why. A few weeks later all he kept saying was how “Serra is a terrible role model and not a good coach.” I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with firing back at someone whose made comments about you first but why say you would never do it and then go right ahead and do it. Both are instances of Hughes criticizing Serra for doing something and then going and doing the same thing. But that’s not hypocritical.

In terms of arrogance it wasn’t his disappointment that made him arrogant. When you’re a member of a team in any sport or field and it’s not doing so well you’re going to be disappointed; that’s human nature. Hughes was arrogant in the fact that he made the winning and losing of his fighters about HIM winning and losing as opposed to the individual guys. At multiple times on camera he made it abundantly clear that they had to go out there and win so he could beat Matt Serra because he “can’t stand to lose.” While this coould be tricky editing or could have been the heat of the moment and Hughes might think different now, that’s what was on TV. Whether you want to refer to those actions as arrogant or selfish or whatever, they’re not that of a dream role model.

In terms of you saying my opinion of coaching “can’t be both ways” you’re missing the mark. If I’m a trainer of a whole mess of fighters who are of equal level with a group of fighters you train and almost all of you’re fighters beat mine, it appears as though you’re ability as a trainer had a big impact as all the fighters were equal to begin with. If I happen to have a fighter who has 5 times the experience of everyone else coming in (like Mac Danzig) who beats one of your guys, it still doesn’t say much for my ability as a trainer in comparison with the landslide loss I suffered when all the guys of equal ability fought. If that doesn’t break down the coaching aspect of it I don’t know what else I can say.

Your argument just doesn’t hold any water because you took every criticism I made and compared it to one remark about Hughes being a hypocrite from time to time. Not every criticism of Hughes is because of that by any means.

And yes, we are all hypocritical every now and again. Matt Hughes just had the unfortunate experience of having a few of his instances put on national television.

• Fred says:

Sam, it was made clear by Hughes and by Barrera himself that Hughes didn’t maul him “right before” Barrera’s fight. The sequences were edited to make it look that way, but it didn’t happen that way. The footage of Hughes grappling with Dan was spliced together from the entire season.

And if you think that what Hughes said about Serra is anywhere near as unprofessional as Serra constantly calling Hughes a “dick”, “asshole”, “jerk”, “egomaniac”, etc., then you’re not being objective. It’s OK not to like Hughes; but it should be obvious to ANYONE that Serra pulled out all the stops in his dissing of Hughes. Hughes mostly kept his thoughts to himself (with relatively few exceptions) and kept it professional. Pulling out an isolated comment here or there to say Hughes was going after Serra is ridiculous.

• Dedwyre says:

As a Christian, I find Hughes to be rather hypocritical. He’ll talk about God and his faith, then turn around and rip on people like Serra, St. Pierre, Frank Trigg, his trainees on TUF, etc. He comes off as very arrogant, like a high school bully/jock who never grew out of his desire to target weak-minded individuals and make them feel inferior to him. There’s a saying that Christians reflect Christ to the world. Matt doesn’t seem to do a very good job of that, and it only helps add fire to the anti-religious sentiment of those around him.

• mike wolfe says:

Shawn:

Your first round of “hypocrisy” accusations was the practical joke and the rough treatment of Barrera. Now it’s whether Hughes will corner either fighter in the finale and whether he bashed Serra after suggesting that was wrong. Sounds like you’re backpeddaling to justify a pre-conceived bias.

With regard to Barrera, see the post from Fred. I don’t know enough about the circumstances to comment. With regard to retaliatory bashing, see Fred’s post again. Also, is it more offensive to be called “dick” or “asshole” or “egomaniac” or to be called a bad role model? If there’s any real question in your mind, try it on a large stranger in a saloon and get back to us about the results.

You’re setting a pretty high standard for arrogance. I never had a coach or a teammate that was indifferent about losing. I can’t think of any professional player or coach who is indifferent about losing. I guess you can characterize Hughes’ postfight statements as being self centered, but you could also characterize them as coming from a competitive guy who hates to lose at anything. It depends on the circumstances, and perhaps your own bias.

On the point of coaching, I’m sticking to my position. Tommy Speer beat George, who had substantially more experience and was coached by Serra. In contrast, Danzig won every fight. If Hughes gets no credit for Danzig, Serra takes the heat for George and/or Hughes gets the credit for Tommy. Hughes got his top guy into to the finals, and Serra didn’t.

• Ben Fowlkes says:

Mike Wolfe, you said: “And as far as Dana White is concerned, I’ll bet he’s smart enough to adjust his vocabulary for his surroundings. Talk that way in a business setting and see how far it gets you.”

If Dana White is adjusting his vocabulary for his surroundings, I have to wonder what he thinks it is accomplishing. He talks that way in interviews, to the point where it obfuscates his meaning when he has to be censored. He talks that way on TV, while representing his business. So when is he adjusting it?

I don’t think obscenity is a big deal. I love obscenity. But I want to see it used well. Dana White just throws it around, maybe because he thinks it makes him look tough, and in the process he devalues it. I object to that just because it’s the wrong way to use it. It makes him sound like a sixth-grader who just learned the words from an old Richard Pryor tape.

To criticize Serra for calling Hughes a dick, I think that’s just grasping at straws. That doesn’t make him a bad or a good role model. A role model is about how you conduct yourself and how you live your life. I think if you were to ask some of the guys down at MFS if they think Hughes is a good role model, you might really hear some colorful language.

• What a joke. The only thing Matt Hughes could possibly be talking about in regards to Matt Serra is his cursing. And if that’s the case, why doesn’t he hate Dana White as much as he hates Matt Serra? No consistency.

• mike wolfe says:

Who knows how he feels about Dana’s vocabulary? Send him an e-mail and ask. As far as hatred goes, has Dana ever called him a dick, etc., publicly? If somebody called you one, I probably wouldn’t hate him. If somebody called me one, I might. I don’t see the inconsistency as far as hatred is concerned.

Repeatedly calling people profane names probably does affect whether you’re perceived as a good role model. And as far as whether profanity is or isn’t a big deal, how many fights have you seen that got started by one guy calling another guy, or his wife/girlfriend or whatever, something nasty? And if it happened to you would you just stand back and critique the guy on whether the comment was creative or particularly colorful? If it would offend you, maybe it’s a bigger deal than you’re suggesting.

• Shawn says:

I hate having to repeat myself.

“But that is not the only specific criticism – the main point here is that despite Hughes physical dominance in the octagon, from a personal stand point he comes out with many hypocritical remarks. Go back and read the previous posts because I’m not going to repeat them because you didn’t read.”

That is all I said regarding hypocritical remarks. If you read what I wrote instead of attempting to skew what I said to fit your own argument you would see that. I touched on the double decker (which was hilarious btw) and his treatment of Barrera (from what we saw on the show) as specific criticisms of Hughes. And THEN I said he made some publicly hypocritical remarks but I wasn’t them because they were already listed in previous posts. Aside from that you have no response for Hughes actions about not cornering anyone despite what he said about Serra.

Bringing up which terms are worse has no bearing on the subject. You’re changing the argument. To refresh your memory, the subject matter was that Hughes criticized Serra for publicly insulting him, claiming to be of higher moral character in the fact that he would never stoop to the level of doing that. Then he did it. Sure, it was definitely warranted but he was still going back on what he previously said he wouldn’t do. That’s the argument. Not “Mommy, he called me a fuckface so I called him a shithead – but his one is worse!” That’s not what we’re talking about so don’t side track.

So again, you’re argument isn’t carrying weight. I hope your not going to law school.

In terms of the coaching, I guess you could say it comes down to personal opinion. These other things we’re talking to are based around what the argument is and who said what and all that. I can’t change your mind on who the better coach was so I’ll just respect your opinion. What I will say is to me, when a fighter loses after being caught with a right hook when his left eye was closed because of a poke, that loss says nothing about the training given to that fighter. A fights a fight and he lost, but you need to look at the circumstance of the fight.

• rene says:

not a good role model,not a good coach.

• Slakdawg says:

Hughes haters see only negative things. They see what they want to see. I watched every episode of TUF this seaosn and came away with the impression that Matt Serra ran his mouth about Hughes non-stop. I like d Serra a lot after watching his first round on TUF, but after watching this season I thought “This guy is the champ?” He seemed pretty insecure about himself. He had to continually attack Hughes in an effort to build himself up. I think he knew deep down that he got a lucky shot in on GSP and thatHughes would hand him him ass in a fight.

I would much rather have my kids use Matt Hughes as a role model than Serra. Hughes is demanding, yes, but not unfair. His main criticisms after his guys lost was that they ignored the game plan and his cornering (see Dan Berrara and the kid who’s cousin died). Both of those guys ignored the cornering. Dan let the Saunders recover instead of pouncing on him, and the other guy was a submission specialist who decided on fight day that he wanted to strike with a striker.

• mike wolfe says:

Shawn

Evidently you do like repeating yourself. And I hope “your” considering a remedial spelling class

• THORAZINE says:

‘Wow’ I have never seen such a passionate response to a simple question.. Hughes is not a good role model for the simplistic way Matt Serra puts it “I don’t like the way he treats people” The way Matt Hughes treated Jason Von Flue on Ultimate Fighter 2 is the perfect example of who Hughes really is… I think you guys remember that.

• The only kids Matt Hughes should be worrying about are his own. I’m not sure how I feel about Matt Hughes or athletes in general as role models for kids.

Hughes has a gold card when it comes to the UFC or training or anything else that is in his area of expertise as it relates to MMA.

Other than that he should probably just STFU. If it’s not about MMA, I’m not interested.

• Sam Caplan says:

To Mike Wolfe:

You want specific examples of how Hughes has been arrogant and disrespectful? I could come up with a huge list but you know what, let me just throw three off the top of my head:

1) How he reacted to Dan Barrera following his loss. It wasn’t right for him to come down on Barrera as hard as he did considering how inexperienced he was. Barrera fought his ass off. Why did he need to call him out like that in front of so many people? Evan Mac Danzig spoke up on camera to one of Hughes’ assistants about how he didn’t agree.

Hughes wasn’t angry that Barrera may have lost out on a opportunity by allowing Saunders to recover after he rocked him. He was angry because his record vs. Serra had another loss added to it. The whole show and the performance of his fighters was about how he looked and not about trying to make his guys better.

If you want to argue this point, go right ahead. But before you do, go to Steve Cofield’s site and listen to all the exit interviews from Hughes’ fighters. The vast majority of them had issues with Hughes and how he treated them.

2) How about the time earlier this year when he applied a stiff choke to Scott Ferrall of Sirius Satellite Radio during a pre-show telecast? Hughes decided he didn’t like Ferrall and when they choked about having Hughes put him in a rear naked choke, Hughes cinched it in way too hard. I know Ferrall consented, but to cinch it in like that was uncalled for. Ferrall doesn’t train. And if he didn’t like the way the interview was going, he should have ended it and walked off instead of pulling that little stunt.

3. There was also the recent comments in which Hughes took an uncalled for swipe at MFS and claimed that they weren’t preparing him well-enough for recent fights. Even if it were true, you just don’t go there. He’s constantly trying to tear people down to build himself up. You know, he didn’t just have a business relationship with MFS — they were a family. Pat Miletich and Monte Cox protected him from a lot of stuff. For him to saying anything negative about MFS in public is just wrong.

I could go and on but I don’t have time to list everything.

• Shawn says:

Thanks Sam Caplan.

Buddy there’s nothing wrong with being a fan of somebody but you still have to live in reality about that person. I’m a big fan of Mel Gibson and find his offbeat antics to be downright hilarious but it’s not like I’m going to spin his drunk anti-Jewish comments as somehow positive. Reality.

When you can’t think of anything else to say in an argument it’s good to resort to picking apart the other person’s typos. It really helps you case.

I hope your considering a remedial class in rhetoric since you have trouble backing your statements up with valid facts, douche bag.

• Dizzle says:

I think yall are being very biased with your opinion about hughes and Serra.

Not a bad thing at all because I’m very biased when it comes to cetain fighters that I like and I don’t care for.

Sam I know your in New Jersey and you’re all for Serra. He’s someone you can probably relate to in alot of different ways. While I am a southern Farm boy myself who can relate the the teachers of Hughes alot better than Serra.

But I like Serra and I like Hughes. I think they are both great atheletes and I think they both are honorable people in the MMA community. I feel that the media is alot of the reasons why these fighters get the raps that they do. Any time the media finds out someone is a christian, or they got a DUI, or they got sent to jail…or this and that happened. The media exploits this to the public in hopes of having more traffic to their Papers and TV Shows. Alot of people forget how the media is able to manipulate the way you think about a certain situation or event.

Either way…Hughes is going to get this wrap of being this hypocritcal christian..yaddy yaddy yada. To me I don’t care what he is or what he does because I don’t personally know him to see if that is the real Hughes….or the TV Hughes.

I think this is a great debate and opinion topic. No doubt.

• mike wolfe says:

I agree with Dizzle in the sense that people will like or dislike fighters based on whether they can identify with them. Similar backgrounds and similar values are reasons to identify with a fighter. People who identify with Hughes for such reasons will tend to have a favorable opinion of him. Those who don’t relate to him will have a negative opinion of him. If that’s as far as it goes, fine. Questioning his character on the basis of sound bites, short video clips and situations that are subject to varying interpretations seems as arrogant and smug as Hughes is accused of being. And if the critics can’t withstand the same degree of scrutiny to which they subject Hughes, aren’t they also as hypocritical as they think he is? If you think Hughes isn’t a good role model, then who is? Can that person live up to the same standards that are being set by Hughes? Doubtful.

• Wang Chung says:

mike, you seem to be still missing the point that was made earlier in the thread which is…you shouldn’t judge somebody’s character, especially from a christian perspective, for something as ridiculous as a few swear words. the point isn’t whether it’s okay to swear in front of your kids or mom, or whether you’d be okay with it personally, it’s whether or not you should judge a persons total character over a few profanities. the irony seems to be lost on you when you say “Questioning his character on the basis of sound bites, short video clips and situations that are subject to varying interpretations seems as arrogant and smug as Hughes is accused of being.” i think your point about whether or not your background identifies with a fighter is a little shallow and presumes the people in this thread are not objective/keen enough to recognize BS when they see it.

• Mike Wolfe says:

If your elementary schooler came home dropping one f-bomb after another and told you he learned it from his little league coach, would you wonder whether the coach was a good role model? If a little profanity is ok, then you wouldn’t mind if your kid repeated it at Sunday School or Synagogue or in the classroom, right? Lots of people are offended by profanity regardless of how or why it’s being used, and nobody expects them to apologize for that.

Hughes’ statements were not of the same type–offensive to persons who were unfamiliar with the subject of his remarks. Only some of the people who were familiar with the subject matter chose to construe his statements negatively. For example, were his statements about MFS accurate? If they weren’t getting him prepared for his recent fights, then it’s just a statement of fact. If MFS thinks they did prepare him, then it’s a difference of opinion. Your character shouldn’t be impugned just because you disagree with somebody. After all, you and I can disagree about this issue and it isn’t a character issue as between us. Did Hughes or persons at MFS attack each other on a personal level using words like”dick,” “egomaniac'” or “asshole?” If so, that’s when questions of character can be raised.