Random Rant: Leave Kevin Iole alone

Wow, what a headline, huh!?

Some of the regulars at FightOpinion.com are up in arms about the following statement that appears in Kevin Iole’s latest mailbag column on Yahoo!:

I don’t think the chances are good of Lindland returning to the UFC. Lindland’s not what I call an exciting fighter. I guess that’s what you happens when you’re stuck watching that pitiful Ravens offense for so long, you begin to think Lindland is exciting. And to say that Lindland would wipe the floor with Anderson Silva is like saying Kyle Boller is a better quarterback than Tom Brady. Lindland is one of the world’s elite middleweights and is one of the few 185-pounders who would have a shot to defeat Silva. It would be a highly competitive bout and neither guy would wipe the floor with the other.

Where’s the beef?

Aside from Iole trying to make some sort of correlation between Kyle Boller and Matt Lindland, what’s so wrong with what he said?

Lindland is a bad matchup for Anderson Silva but he would not wipe the floor with him. And for him to say that the chances aren’t good of Lindland returning to the UFC are very accurate. Iole is correct.

Based on merit, Lindland belongs in the UFC middleweight division but politics will prevent him from returning. And I’m not even referring to the alleged issues he apparently has had with UFC president Dana White in the past. Lindland makes a lot of money fighting for BodogFIGHT in a non-exclusive capacity.

It remains to be seen if Bodog will ever schedule him again in light of them changing their business model but he has a rate that he expects to be paid. I doubt the UFC will meet that rate because he just doesn’t fit into what they need. Lindland is a great fighter and adds credibility to any promotion he’s involved with but aside of the Pacific Northwest, he’s not a draw. To justify the money he would command from the UFC he would need to be a big ticket seller and PPV seller and that’s simply not the case.

He has value to the newer promotions because of his credibility. If a new company wants to send a message to the public that they are for real, then it it’s worth it for them to meet Lindland’s asking price.

Lindland’s absence from the UFC comes down to money. Despite any issues the two sides have and Lindland’s desire to be non-exclusive, all of that would go away if both parties were in the ballpark when it came to perceived market value.

I’m not sure why people are dog piling on top of Iole at Fight Opinion when he actually deserves some credit.

Iole deserves credit because he didn’t make the blanket statement that some pundits have made in labeling Lindland a “boring” fighter. He’s merely stating his opinion that he doesn’t consider him exciting. Let the man have an opinion.

For my money, Lindland is plenty exciting. Is he exciting in the same way that Anderson Silva and Sokoudjou are exciting? Perhaps not. But it all comes down to personal tastes and to me, technically proficient fighters are a pleasure to watch. Lindland’s wrestling is superb and his boxing has gotten a lot better. He’s improved a great deal since his last stint in the UFC.

Let me make it clear that this is not directed at Iole; I sometimes wonder whether the people who claim Lindland is boring have seen his recent fights or are just going off of what other people have told them? I’m glad Iole was able to express his opinion without trying to stick him with the blanket “Lindland is boring” tag.

While we won’t see Lindland in the UFC it wouldn’t be surprising at all for him to be involved with M-1 Global. In fact, I am predicting that the next promotion you will see him fight for is M-1.

Why do I get the feeling that people are just looking for an excuse to rip Kevin Iole?

• atom says:

Telling mma fans to leave Iole alone is silly. Its like telling a comedy show not to make fun of the president.

• Asa says:

Lindland’s not what I call an exciting fighter.

So Iole’s labeling him as the absence of excitement, but not labeling him as boring?

• Sam Caplan says:

Just because you are not exciting doesn’t necessarily mean you are boring.

• Pramit says:

As a Baltimore resident, the only part of Iole’s comment that bothers me is the comparison with Kyle Boller. It’s not a very good comparison at all. Lindland is far better at his craft than Boller ever will be (and Lindland has never tripped simply trying to walk to the ring.) But, I’ll give Boller this much — he is easily the more handsome man.

Pramit

• Tom K says:

The point of the Kyle Boller comparison is that no one in their right mind would think that Boller is better than Brady.

Just like no one in their right mind would say that Lindland would “wipe the floor” with Anderson Silva. Lindland would likely have just as good a chance to win that fight as Silva, but neither fighter would “wipe the floor” with the other. The implication from the letter writer was that Lindland would crush Silva — and I (and apparently Iole as well) think that’s Silva’s shown enough that while he could lose, he’s far from being completely dominated by anyone.

That was what Iole was trying to say. He wasn’t bashing Lindland as much as he was giving credit to Silva and making fun of the letter writer who made such an ridiculous statement.

As far as the “boring” vs. “uninteresting” fighter comments, that’s his opinion. I’m sure I think some fighters are less interesting to watch than others, but it doesn’t take away from their ability to fight or what other people think of them.

• Dan says:

Come on Sam, you’re better than that. Iole is a horrendous writer that churns out fluff pieces in the style that he thinks a writer should write. He has no actual writing talent, he’s just one of those people that copies a style he’s seen from actual writers over the years. Everything he writes is, “Why Tim Sylvia has the heart of a champion,” and just boring little AP-like fluff pieces that no one reads.

Just leave him alone and let him sit in a corner by himself.

• Grape Knee High says:

There is a big white, elephant in this room that no one publicly seems to want to discuss, or maybe everyone is being willfully, blissfully blind to the what really is holding Lindland back.

He is fugly. There, I said it. He is one fugly bastard.

Nothing wrong with being fugly, but THAT is why he’s not in the UFC right now. If he looked more like an All-American poster boy like Matt Hughes or Sean Sherk (both of whom have very, extremely similar games as he does), he’d be lauded to high heaven by the fans as well as Zuffa as the Great White Hope of 185, now that Franklin — the fighter for whom he was expelled from the UFC — has proved himself not worthy of the Anderson Silva challenge.

That said, IMO, I think he’d wipe the floor with Anderson Silva if he ever got the opportunity.

• C.C. says:

I always just assumed that Zach Arnold was bitter because absolutely none of the major sites are interested in partnering with his blog. He’s really had to dig deep for some of his latest swipes at Iole. It’s gotten lame.

• Dizzle says:

Lindland needs to just stick with Bodog.

He wouldn’t last in the UFC. He couldn’t even beat Fedor at his own wrestling game.
    I think he’s washed up and he should stick to truck driving.

Anderson Silva would tear him apart.

• bubbafat says:

Uhhh, Fedor’s two weight classes up from Lindland buddy. On top of that he cut Fedor, BADDDD. On top of that, Fedor had to (illegally) grab the ropes to keep Lindland from taking him down and using his wrestling.Matt Lindland simply belongs with the best, and that is the UFC. Whether he would beat Anderson Silva or not is a moot point. He’s proven he is the best wrestler in this sport that we call MMA(not Ultimate Fighting), and he’s really worked on his hands(I mean he knocked out Jeremy Horn). If he’s a boring fighter then too bad, he’s one of the best and he belongs in the UFC.That being said, he is fricken ugly…

• yenny says:

Lindland has gotten better as far as finishing. He dished out a nasty beating to Leopoldo a couple years in the Gracie FC.

• Zack says:

Kevin Iole is a UFC shill. I ignore everything he writes.

• Cory77530 says:

As bad as the middleweight division is right now in the UFC, I think bringing Matt in is a great idea.. Right now there isnt a middleweight that can compete with Silva (excluding Henderson)…Dana needs to get on the ball and start signing some big names in the middleweight division, cause its a real snoozer for a division…I’m not up on contract status of Lawler or Lindland but UFC really needs some new talent in that division be it young talent or vets…They always have Filho there in the WEC also, thats my opinion but I could be wrong

• Lindland ain’t ever coming back to the UFC, and it’s more because of Matt than Dana I’m sure: http://fightlinker.com/?p=843

• Dizzle says:

I’m gonna says its your fault Ryan. Because of that article you wrote!

• dice says:

This is the first thing that popped into my head after reading the title.

Sam Caplan under a blanket screaming “LEAVE IOLE ALONE”

• Brandt says:

Did you really expect the Fightlinker readers to say anything nice?! :)