Where does “Sugar” sit in the 205lb division?

After watching UFC 78’s main event between Michael Bisping and Rashad Evans, I found myself very underwhelmed by “Sugar’s” performance. I was actually more impressed with Bisping than I was Evans.

This led me to thinking where Evans actually sat in the 205 lb. division after his split decision victory and its definantly nowhere near the top 5 as Dana White had stated. I couldn’t even put Rashad in the top 10 light heavyweights in the UFC. This is my list of the people ahead of him.

1. Quinton Jackson
  2. Dan Henderson
  3. Wanderlei Silva
  4. Chuck Liddell
  5. Forrest Griffin
  6. Keith Jardine
  7. Ryoto Machida
  8. Mauricio Rua
  9. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
  10. Tito Ortiz

Can you honestly say that Rashad is ahead of anyone on that list considering the best person he’s beaten was probably Jason Lambert. Sure he’s offically undefeated – even though I still reckon that grabbing the fence by Tito was bullshit – but looking at that list of people I do not think he can beat any of the light heavyweights on there.

I’ll be away for the next week, so I wont be able to immediately recieve all the hate I’ll get from Rashad fans who visit this site. But I’ll be sure to address any qualms you have when I return.

Until then…

Read more on FiveOuncesOfPain.com

• Just the facts says:

He should be above tito. Tito haven’t done anything except beat Ken. And the Griffin fight is debatable. Rashed at least beat Lambert and it wasn’t like Tito dominated him. Plus he beat Keith Jardine to win the TUF show. You can argue that Wanderlei Silva Chuck Liddell are on there way out.

• THORAZINE says:

He did beat Keith Jardine

• Sam Cupitt says:

At heavyweight in the Ultimate Fighter house a long time ago. Jardine is much improved since then and has beaten more quality opponents.

• screwface says:

sam ur fun to argue with and ur list is decent, but from 5 down rashad can hang with them all with exception to sokoudjou, i believe sok will be champ eventually. rashad is not exciting to watch, but he knows how to win. his last performance places him up there with koscheck and sylvia on my list of boring fighters. but that still doesnt take away from the fact that he knows how to win just not how to keep fans happy.

• He did beat Brad Imes and Stephan Bonner, not to mention that nasty head kick knockout over Sean Salmon, but I still wouldnt throw him in the top ten either, he’s just not of that caliber no matter how you slice it.

• garth says:

rashad and bisping both showed an interest in not-losing, instead of winning. neither guy wanted to win, they just didn’t want to lose what they had. i watched that fight too, and i thought rashad won. i was pissed that i paid 40 bones for an annoyingly boring series of main events, but i still think rashad won that fight. strike-counting has NO PLACE in MMA. period. otherwise pitty-pat punchers woul be undeafeated. do we want floyd mayweather MMA champs? punch and run?
    while i don’t think rashad would beat most of the top ten fighters you have in LHW, i also didn’t think he’d beat Brad Imes, and he found a way. so let’s do it the old fashioned way…make ’em fight! it’s like action figures!

• Sam Cupitt says:

I’ll grant you that he’d have a decent shot against Jardine but i still reckon Jardine would knock him out. If you remember he knocked Rashad down early in their TUF 2 encounter. I also agree about the finding a way to win thing, even if that way is takedown, maintain position add nausea.

However I believe Machida would frustrate the shit out of Rashad and outpoint him decisevly. Shogun would knock him out or pull off a Randleman knee bar. Sokoudjou might struggle a tad if he doesnt get the knockout straight away, but i believe he has enough TD defense to avoid Rashad’s wrestling and Tito has already beat him except the judges pronounced it as a draw.

• Mike Rome says:

Agreed with the list. Rashad really ought to drop down to 185, where he’s one fight away from a title shot against a guy with weak ass takedown defense.

• Kelvin says:

He should be #10…Tito Ortiz is not a top ten fighter anymore…and actually hasn’t beat anyone of relevance in about 4 yrs…

• Gabber says:

I totally agree. I think Rashad is a 185 force. His cardio was terrible man and Bisping looked way bigger then him. If everyone talks about how Bisping can drop, Rashad could easily drop and chop through the ranks. I also think that Rua and Sokodjou would be much higher up on the list. I consider Rua losing to Forrest a bump in the road, he didn’t look like himself. Now he’s coming from being off for a while and what was it? His wedding? He just didn’t look Shogun. I feel bad for whoever they throw in with the african assassin. One question is, after watching Silva throw down a BJJ clinic on Houston, how do you think Rashad would square up with Thiago? I would put money down on Thiago, he would sub him on the ground and his cardio is way better. I think the Chute Box camp is going to put a big dent in the UFC rankings soon enough. Anyone know if they do cage training there or just rings?

With Rashad though, I have been less and less impressed the more he fights, it doesn’t look like he’s bring new weapons to the table. He just seems to be the LHW version of Koschek. He keeps saying he’s getting better and you’re going to see the new him. But man, it’s the same old lay n pray. I’m down with the Pride scoring system. In old Pride, would the Bisping-Rashad fight have been scored a draw? No real determination to finish the fight?

• Sam Cupitt says:

Kelvin, Tito won that fight against Rashad except he was penalised for a fence grab that resulted in a takedown anyway. It was too harsh a penalty so I believe Tito actually beat Rashad and that is why he is ahead of him.

• Jack Diaz says:

Emphasis on last couple of fights:

1 Quinton Jackson

2 Dan Henderson

3 Rameau Sokoudjou

4 Wanderlei Silva

5 Keith Jardine

6 Forrest Griffin

7 Chuck Liddell

8 Ryoto Machida

9 Mauricio Rua

10 Thiago Silva

• steve24 says:

Your list is a complete joke. Machida , Ortiz, Soko. Soko only has like 5 fights. Dan Henderson is a MW now. Jardine and Griffin have only 1 win vs. anyone in the top 10. I could go on and on.

• Dizzle says:

who cares? The UFC fucked up big time here. They have all the best fighters. To me that means you won’t have the same champ for very long considering the talent on the roster.

• Da Twin says:

Rashad doesnt deserve to be top 15 he sucks! I dont understand why so many people are defending him. He’s boring fighter! T. Silva could beat him Houston Alexander could beat him, he’s definaly NOT Top 15!

• Rashad #1 says:

houston alexander would get crushed by Rashad what the hell are you thinking? Some guy who beat Jardine and Sakara? He got exposed by Silva and you think he could beat someone who has been tested and wasnt dismantled like Houston? Give me a break