Report: Sonnen to fight Filho for WEC middleweight title

Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Paulo Filho will defend his WEC middleweight title on Dec. 12 in Las Vegas against Chael Sonnen.

“Chael matches well with Paulo Filho, who is a tough guy for us to get opponents for,” WEC matchmaker Scott Adams is quoted as saying in Iole’s article. “He was a Division I wrestler and he finished high in the Olympic Trials and I think he matches very, very well with Paulo. He’s got a lot of wins against a lot of top guys, but this is really his kind of breakthrough chance, which I believe he realizes.”

Sonnen has competed for the UFC and for BodogFIGHT. His last fight was on Oct. 27 for the Sportfight promotion where Sonnen recorded a first round TKO over Kyacey Uscola. Afterwards, he issued a challenge to Strikeforce middleweight champion Frank Shamrock.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF THIS ARTICLE ON SAM CAPLAN’S PROELITE.COM BLOG

• Da Twin says:

Filho will stay champion in WEC for a while, but i cant stand when people say that he’ll beat Anderson Silva, Silva would KO him if it stayed standin or summit him if Filho took him down! I like Filho but he couldnt beat Silva. Still It will be a good fight that i would want 2 see

• Jeremy says:

Probably about as good an opponent as we could ask for. Sonnen is respectable like Doerksen was. But there really isn’t much competition out there for the top middleweight guys with the division being so thin and the top guys being spread out among organizations.

• Evan says:

Da Twin

Filho and Silva will neevr fight

• Evan says:

“never”

dang it

• Zack says:

What are they going to do to keep Filho busy with interesting fights? They’ve painted themselves in a corner with this “WEC is not a minor leagues” thing.

• Davey D says:

Sonnen is a good oppenent for Paulo. I see Filho winning via submission.

Filho vs. The Spider would be an awesome match. That could happen down the line maybe a year or so for now. Granted, that is if Anderson completely destroys everyone else put in front of him during this time. I’d like to see Hendo vs. Silva happen next year. Hendo has dynamite in both hands and could give Anderson a lot of probelms during the course of five rounds. That is one bout I’ve been waiting for since the old days of Pride FC years ago.

• Filho is good… prolly the best in his weight class at the moment. I want to see him fight a TOP LEVEL striker…. Joe Doerksen just doesnt do it for me. WEC loses Filho… What do they have left??

I think you are all forgetting Ryo Chonan is now with the UFC and if he wins his debut I bet we see him against Silva soon. Chonan was the last person to really beat Silva… (other then that DQ against Okami) We all know how UFC likes their champs to avenge losses.

• Gygax says:

Tony, also don’t forget that Chonan has entered the UFC at 170lbs against Parysian, not 185.