Is Evan Tanner teasing us again?

Evan Tanner’s official MySpace.com account issued the following bulletin:

November 8, 2007

Evan Tanner Returns to UFC

Former Middleweight Champ Back in ’08
K.A.O.S. caught up with former UFC Middleweight Champ Evan Tanner who broke the news that he signed a 4 fight deal with UFC. Date, time and opponent still to be determined.

Listen to interview at:

The UFC’s middleweight division needs Evan Tanner. And Evan Tanner probably needs the UFC’s middleweight division. All that said, it still doesn’t mean we’ll ever see Tanner compete again.

• HexRei says:

tanner said on his personal website that he was back in Vegas training with xtreme couture, so I’m not all that surprised. In fact I’m pretty pumped, he may not ever be champ again but he could definitely be a contender in today’s weak WM division.

• YES! Bring back TANNER!

• Brent says:

Hmmm – did anyone from UFC confirm this, Sam?

• Evan says:

Evan sent this out over myspace.

So we went from being a lost drunk last month to the UFC….

This may not end very well.

• Sam Cupitt says:

The file is gone… was it actually Tanner on the audio file?

• Ben Fowlkes says:

I’ll believe it when the bell rings.

• steve24 says:

Im tired or articles directing to the Wrestling Observer. It’s 10 pages of BS that MMA fans don’t give a shit and then there is 2 sentences on the UFC

• Evan says:

steve24

That’s why it is called the “Wrestling Observer.” MMA news just happens to be something extra on the side…

I don’t care where news comes from as long as its accurate.

• Gabber says:

I’m a little cautious to just believe it. I hope so, for me it’s a better trade to have Tanner back in the MW division over Okami, Evan always puts on a good show, wether he lays a beating or his leatherface gets split and he’s leaking all over the place.

Anyway you slice it, it’s a good move by the UFC. He’s always been a sort of star-crossed, fan favourite, I’m glad to see him back in the cage, especially the UFC. I’d have to agree with Hex, I don’t know if he’ll ever be a champ again, but I think he’ll put on a good showing beating everyone under 1) Silva & 2) Franklin. I think if he gets back to his previous form he’s the legit #3, without too many challengers.

Maybe Tanner vs Nate Quarry for his first fight back?

• Dayzah says:

Like I posted on another site , how does this help the MW division? Getting rid of 6-1 in UFC Okami and getting a drunk Tanner?

I dont think these ppl have a clue what they are doing sometimes..

• Cory77530 says:

I think its AWESOME that Tanner is back!! The middleweight division is HORRIBLE right now…I think the UFC should think strongly in bringing Henderson down to 185 AND bringing Filho over fron WEC….Heck in my opinion Strikeforce and EliteXC has a better middleweight division right now……For crying out loud bring back RUTHLESS LAWLER!!! and Jake Shields….Cmon Dana give with the program…you have the WORST middleweight division in MMA!!! Thats my opinion and Im sticking to it

• Dayzah says:

#11 – Shields fights at 175 atm and was the 167lb Shooto champ .. His last 4 fights have all been at 175 not 185 ..

Hes a WW not MW.

Regardless I agree , they should get him , Lawler and Condit.

• Evan says:

Dayzah

Fans love him. Count me as one.

• Dayzah says:

Evan , just cause fans love him doesnt mean it helps the divison by signing him and letting Okami go .. There is a stable of b level MW’s already in the UFC , Tanner is just another one ..

Throwing away money on this guy..

• Evan says:

Well, the division needs some excitement infused into it besides just Spider and this helps, IMO. After all, its all about ratings and PPV purchases.

I understand what your saying here but lets not be so sure his gas tank is empty.

I agree it likely is to be honest but lets see what he has left.

• Evan was CRAZy! Bring back the cornrows. That aside he was one of the more exciting fighters out there. I think he is a bit nuts which makes it better to watch but will age catch up to him? thanks frank – http://houston-alexander.com

• HexRei says:

I agree, and let’s remember that Tanner left the UFC on a win. Perhaps if he finally has a handle on his drinking problem he could come back better than ever.

• Thorazine says:

Hey, Dayzah! you’re not giving Tanner enough credit, I say he puts down the beer can before he enters the Octogon.