Ben Rothwell opens up…

I generally don’t check out the Sherdog forums much. Mainly because I generally think its filled with mostly 6 year olds with little people syndrome. But, out of sheer boredom, I gave it a look over and found a topic posted by IFL star Ben Rothwell.

Rothwell starts the topic as mainly an attack on all the ‘Sherdoggers’ who have been bashing him but the topic eventually evolved into almost a Q/A session, where Ben opened up quite bluntly on a number of issues.

One of the most intriguing things I read, was his viewpoint on Matt Hughes’ decision to leave the Miletich camp.

In response to the question, “How is the atmosphere over at MFS now with Hughes and Robbie taking off?” Rothwell replied:

FUCK Matt Hughes and he knows it, how he went about the gym and Pat Mileitich was complete BULLSHIT besides other things.

He would then clarify his statement in a later post saying:

He treats people around him poorly and has no respect. Really when I hear him talk about God and do this and do that and I love my wife, I want to puke
you (Hughes) couldn’t look anyone in the face anymore, and you fucked Monte (Cox) and Pat (Miletich) over and the fucking gym that MADE YOU

These are pretty damning words from Rothwell and definitely go against the reported “peaceful exit” between Hughes and the Miletich Camp.

The thread can be found here, if you can be bothered wading through some mostly pointless Sherdog posts.

Another thing I found interesting is how Ben stated he was “licking his lips for more” cage fights. Which could suggest his desire to end up in the UFC or at least another organisation that isn’t the IFL.

• ossBASHA says:

So how exactly did he fuck his gym over?

• cyphron says:

Hughes is a bible thumping A-hole? No way!

• dizzle says:

Ben is just upset. Look at how he calls Hughes this and that in his statement. That is just immature…So what he left the gym/camp. You’re allowed to make decisions in life based apon your personal feelings.

• atom says:

Another quote from Ben’s thread about the IFL pay system-

“Getting paid the same as 0-8 Wojtek Kaszowski f***ing stupid”

• Evan says:

wow….I didn’t know they were flat salaries!

• Evan says:

Not that is really any of my business….

but I wonder what this means…

“Really when I hear him talk………I love my wife, I want to puke”

Playing the field Matt?

• garth says:

rothwell comes of there as a bit of a kid. but jocks often do… they’re really good at particular things, and other stuff just gets in the way.

• jt says:

Anyone can watch this season’s TUF and see that Matt Hughes has issues.

• Slakdawg says:

#3 – My thoughts exactly. So he left MFS. Big deal. He wouldnt be the first fighter to leave his camp. Diego Sanchez left his camp and you dont hear Rashad Evans saying how bad he fucked over Greg Jackson and his gym/partners. If Pat Milletich has a problem with the way it all went down, then I’d like to hear it from him. Until I do, who the fuck is Ben Rothwell? Some clown fighting in the IFL? Youcan dislike Hughes if you want for being the way he is, but I’ve never heard one of his team mates at MFS rip on him for being a bad guy. I’ve only ever heard good things about him. He’s always at his team mates fights or in their corners. Why would he go sit in the crowd for the Pulver/Penn, or Sylvia or Frankiln (who isnt even affiliated with NFS anymore) if he was such a selfish prick? Rothwell comes off like a bitter guy in that interview.

• drewdoodoo says:

Ben’s comments make me wonder if there wasn’t something else going on at MFS that prompted the exit.

Hughes has said that the idea for starting his own gym/team came up during the filming of this season of TUF. Watching the season now, I have to wonder at what point did he think this was a good idea? I’m not saying his guys are losing because of his coaching, but Dana handles press conferences better than Hughes handles losses. His actions don’t seem to motivate his guys as much as distance them.

• RealDeal says:

Rothwell has a hacked account and none of this should have left the website you got it from.
    Sam Cupitt should have checked into this before adding into some complete garbage.

• It is me says:

Lets just say that I went to High School with Ben Rothwell and he is an a-hole himself. I wanted to kick his a** for being mean to my sister. He treated everyone he thought was “under” him like crap. I never liked him and even if he becomes some famous actor or what not I will still stick to my words. I dont like him.

• RealDeal says:

{It is me}

High School huh?? Wow, thats some grudge seeing Rothwell is about 26 now. Yeah thats about 8 years ago. Ever wonder if people can change? Just saying that all the press I read and the vibe from the gym is that he is a very cool and respectful guy. Sorry you had such a bad time in high school, maybe you should meet up with Ben and talk about it. You would probably feel different after doing so, just a thought bud!