Q&A with new EliteXC fighter Kimbo Slice

It isn’t everyday you get a phone call from Kimbo Slice’s manager in response to an interview request in which he informs you that Kimbo is with him and “can do an interview now.”

A longshot interview request comes through and suddenly I had Kimbo on the line. With no questions prepared I knew that this chance might not be around in a few hours and that I had to seize it.

Below is a transcript of an impromptu interview I conducted with Kimbo earlier this afternoon, just hours after ProElite.com announced that Slice had come to terms with EliteXC on a long-term contract.

Sam Caplan: It was announced earlier that you’ve signed a long-term contract with EliteXC, can you talk about other promotions that were bidding for your services?

Kimbo Slice: My manager can give you more information on that. I don’t get involved with that part of the business.

Sam Caplan: When your manager presented you with EliteXC’s offer, what attracted you to the deal?

Kimbo Slice: The whole presentation and how he came to me with it. He came and made it seem like it was pretty good. I met those guys and Jeremy (Lappen) and (B.J.) Penn’s brother Jaydee and those guys were pretty cool guys and everything was fine and everything worked out good.

Sam Caplan: Can you confirm that you’ll be debuting for EliteXC on Nov. 10 on Showtime?

Kimbo Slice: November Tenth! November Tenth, man! Showtime, that’s right!

Sam Caplan: You’ll be in Texas for that fight. Have they presented an opponent to you?

Kimbo Slice: It’s between… I think… I guess they are going to work on either Tank (Abbott) or some guy, Thompson? Jason Thompson? James Thompson?

Sam Caplan: Oh, James Thompson. Okay. Do you have a preference?

Kimbo Slice: Nah. It’s whatever. I’ll fight anybody, man.

Sam Caplan: Can you talk about the length of the contract? Do you know how many fights it’s four?

Click here to read the remainder of this interview with Kimbo Slice on Sam Caplan’s blog at ProElite.com

• Adam Morgan says:

Please make Kimbo v. James Thompson happen. Would this please you, Ben Fowlkes? :)

• Ben Fowlkes says:

Would it ever. That would be an awesome fight. Please, Elite XC, make that happen.

• garth says:

nice job Sam, quick thinkin’ there. do you have any special access to EliteXC fighters?

• Sam Caplan says:

Not that I know of. I called Bas Rutten and got the number for Kimbo’s manager from him. I called Kimbo’s manager and he picked up and I put in a request and the request was granted later.

• dizzle says:

sweet interview sam. I think alot of the kimbo fans will really appreciate this. I really hope he fights James Thompson…I think he’ll be able to make the match more exciting.

• Sam Caplan says:

• Just call Kimo Leopoldo and get it over with.

• Sam Caplan says:

Well, Kimo has some ground skills so I don’t know if that’s a great matchup right now. Kimbo needs more time to work on his ground skills. He’s been training for less than a year.

• But see, this is exactly the problem. Is the goal to find someone that Kimbo can beat and look good beating? I thought the goal was putting on a good, competitive fight. Obviously you don’t want to put him into a gross mismatch, but it damages the organization’s credibility to hand pick opponents in order to suit his style.

Not that I really want to see Kimo, though. I was joking to make a point. I agree that Thompson is no joke, but neither is Kimo, right?

• Sam Caplan says:

I think Kimo has seen his better days. I wouldn’t call him a joke but his day has come and gone.

I think the goal for a young promotion like EliteXC is to put on competitive fights but to also create some stars. I think putting someone like Kimbo, who is still learning the ground aspect of fighting, in situations where he has a chance to succeed is the right thing to do from a business perspective.

• I meant Kimbo there at the end, just typed it wrong. Kimo has definitely seen better days, though I still wouldn’t call his better days good.

I see what you’re saying about building stars, but it’s problematic nonetheless. It’s hard to simultaneously say, ‘We’re creating a star in Kimbo Slice’ as well as ‘We don’t want Kimbo Slice to fight anyone too difficult right now’.

You see my point? How are we to buy into this idea of his stardom if he doesn’t get tested? There’s no easy answer, except perhaps that a guy with a 1-0 record isn’t a star yet and so should have to work his way up just like everyone else.

And you know what that means…he should fight Dan Severn. Everyone else did on their way up.

• dizzle says:

“I don’t know. If I was EliteXC I would really push to make the Tank fight happen on Nov. 10. James Thompson is no joke. I know Neil Grove took him out but Thompson can be dangerous. If they can’t sign Tank then they should call up Justin Eilers and see if he can make a quick turnaround after the HD Net Fights show in Dallas this weekend.”

They should put him against Thompson. It will be a fuckin slug fest which is what everyone is looking for in a fight. We all know that if he fights Tank then he’s going to pull a frank mir and tap him out in the first round.