JZ, Kid Yamamoto, and Kazushi Sakuraba all win at K-1 HERO’s

Results from the Sept. 17 K-1 HERO’s card from the Yokohama Arena in Kanagawa, Japan are making the rounds on various Internet sites.

The results are as follows:

– Takenori Sato defeated Kenji Nagai via armbar submission at 2:40 of round 1 in the opening bout.

– Kazuyuki Miyata defeated Harvey Harra via armbar submission at 1:13 round 1 in a middleweight tournament reserve bout.

– Andre Dida won a two round unanimous decision over Caol Uno in a HERO’s middleweight tournament semifinal.

– In the other middleweight tournament semifinal, Gesias “JZ” Calvancanti recorded a TKO (referee stoppage) at 0:35 on round 1 over Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro. JZ is no joke and I’d love to see him fighting in the States.

– Ikuhisa Minowa TKO’d Kevin Casey via strikes at 0:42 of round 2

– Dong Sik Yoon submitted Zelg Galesic with an armbar at 1:29 of round 1. I believe that’s two straight losses for “Mini Cro Cop.”

– Melvin Manhoef TKO’d Fabio Silva via strikes at 1:00 of round 1. Might we see a future showdown between Manhoef vs. Denis Kang?

– Sergei Kharitonov TKO’d Alistair Overeem at 4:21 of round 1.

– Kazushi Sakuraba submitted Katsuyori Shibata with an armbar at 6:20 of round 1. Thank god Sakuraba didn’t face Kang.

– Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto made his long-awaited return to MMA and recorded a unanimous three-round decision victory over Bibiano Fernandes. It’s good to have Kid back on the scene. It’s a shame North American fight fans don’t get a chance to see him on a regular basis.

– In the middleweight tournament final, Gesias “JZ” Calvancanti submitted Andre Dida via armbar in the first round.

• Dan says:

K1’s reffing make me sick. They restarted Kid and Fernandes in the wrong position multiple times in favour of kid. It was a farse. And the usual stopp and check for cuts in 15 minutes in the bout between dida and uno when uno was in trouble, he only had some blood running from the nose. And it took a LOONG time for them to resume and by then uno had recovered.

Overeem looked the same as he use to. Unfortunately. He looked good for about 4 minutes and then it ended with him turning his back on sergei and running. Didn’t look too good.

• Aidan742 says:

I’ve had enough of Overeem, I seriously don’t want his pathetic performances infiltrating my headspace.

• nicklovesmma says:

#2 made me lol

Overeem is a shame. He doesn’t have a good record but he has all the physical tools to dominate. I just dont know what his problem is.

• Dan says:

Yes, I’m sorry to say it, but he should really give it a break. I don’t want to judge a fighter, cause let’s face it, he steps in there to fight world class competition, but it just looks like he doesn’t want to be there. His technique looks good, but as soon he is put under some pressure he crumbles. Must feel sweet for Kharitonov though, after the brutal loss to Overeem last time when he hurt his shoulder. What a difference in fighters! Kharitonov just laid there defenceless with a popped shoulder and took a BEATING. And he even complained to the reff for stopping it. Overeem on the other hand got hit with a few (though probably very hard) shots standing, crawled up top a ball before running away trying to escape.

• Fujin says:

I agree with #1 about the reffing. WTF. I didn’t think it was horrible in the Yamamoto/Fernadez fight but stopping the fight to give Uno breathers was ridiculous.

And standing up Minowa when Casey had his back? That was a shame.

I think the fact most of the fights ended super fast is an indication of poor match-making. (Besides JZ stopping Shaolin and Dida in the first, that’s just an indication that JZ is very very good)

• Brent says:

There was no honor at K-1 that night. Most biased reffing I’ve ever seen – the “Uno is in trouble, no, no!” breaks made me sick, the Minowa restart when Casey had his back with hooks in, and the despicable Yamamoto restarts in the wrong position really make me ashamed for MMA in Japan…