Kevin Iole comments on Babalu choke

I’m not the only writer out there calling for the UFC to remove Babalu from its roster, as Kevin Iole from Yahoo! Sports also believes that he deserves a much more harsher penalty than a potential fine of $25,000.

Iole believes that Babalu’s transgression could in fact cost him his job:

Well, now it’s time for Babaloser to learn a lesson. And this lesson, quite likely, is going to cost him his job as well as a pile of money.

It sounds like he might know something because he spoke with Dana White, who didn’t want to comment on what he has in mind as far as a punishment:

White was very ill Monday but worked up enough of his fiery temper to summon a few choice words for Babaloser.

He declined to discuss what actions he would take because he said it’s his policy not to discuss such matters publicly, but he clearly condemned Babaloser’s actions.

You can access Iole’s article by clicking here

• HexRei says:

“babaluser”? does that kind of childishness actually pass for journalism on yahoo sports? i mean i agree with his point, but silly namecalling undermines his argument.

• garth says:

damnit hex, you keep beating me to the punch.

over the last few days I’ve watched that a few times, and it just makes me more and more depressed. I used to like Babalu. sheesh.

• Brad says:

What Babalu did was wrong, I don’t think anybody is argueing otherwise. That said, firing him would be stupid. Babalu would just go sign with a promotion like HERO’s, EliteXC or Bodog in which case 1. it would give the promotion which he signs with a well known top 10 talent 2. Babalu would most likely be a star wherever he signs and possibly be a champ so he would likely be making lots of money.

There is a good chance that soon K-1 HERO’s will have Fedor, Josh Barnett, Sergei Kharitonov, Sokoudjou, Overeem so if you add Babalu to that all of a sudden Hero’s is legit competition for the UFC.

• garth says:

Good, let him sign there. What, the UFC LHW is going to miss him? Good for him. Go.

• garth says:

the problem, additionally, is that even if Hero’s manages to somehow sign those guys…who are they going to fight? Are you going to have Josh Barnett and Fedor fight over and over again? Put some cans in against Fedor and hope for the best? Sure, you’ll have the entire Red Devil team, but thats just one camp. And some so-so fighters outside the brothers Emilianenko.
    What I don’t understand is why UFC and Showtime don’t just sign a deal. They’re going crazy to get in with HBO, and Showtime obviously wants a deal, they’re running their own series. What stopped that marriage?

• pr0cs says:

Luke had some good comments yesterday at bloodyelbow.com regarding judging Babalu. I wonder how much of the social background played a part in the choke. I would be nice to hear from other Brazillians about what happened and if it is more common to “punish” people similarly in the Brazillian fighting culture.

• Sam Caplan says:

Procs:

I’ve never trained in Brazil but I’ve trained with Brazilians and they’ve told me some insane stories. It’s a different culture there, no doubt. Luke’s writeup was a good explanation into why Babalu might have did what he did. However, at the end of the day it’s not a street environment and you have to comply with the rules. If he doesn’t want to conform, he can go back to Brazil and get into street fights.

• Goo says:

I like Babalu, real shame he did this. Definitely needed that win, too, but he probably would’ve been better off if he lost.
    This uproar is a bit much, though. Nobody reacted like this when BJ didn’t let go of Jens.

• George says:

This is a joke. The real crime in this fight was the reffing of Masugatti. This fight should have been stopped when there was no intelligent defense. When is the UFC going to get rid this joke of a ref? Babalu kept the joke on for an additional 3 seconds to put out a fighter who had no business mouthing off after he was soundly defeated. Sometimes you pay for your actions in the ring. If what Babalu did was so wrong, sign him to a free re-match and see what happens.