Josh Barnett rains on Randy Couture’s parade

Josh Barnett has left the following message on his website, JoshBarnett.tv, in which he speaks out on UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture’s win over Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74 this past Saturday:

Let’s get straight to it and say that Randy did a phenomenal job at UFC 74 in defending his title. As a fan and a fellow Washingtonian I was happy to see him win. But as for the title itself — it still sits in my house. No one in UFC ever beat me for it, and as far as I am concerned, no one in the UFC can be the heavyweight champion until they take that belt off of me in the cage.

At the post fight press conference, Dana White said ”there isn’t anyone in the world that can beat this guy” in reference to Randy. All this because Randy beat a guy that had less than ten fights and only one noteworthy win? That’s not even a world championship level fight, let alone reason to proclaim the winner as “unbeatable”. This comment was made even more ridiculous by the fact that I was standing right there, living proof that Randy Couture is definitely beatable.

“Unbeatable”, Dana says. If he actually believes that, I’m more than willing to step into the cage and prove him wrong. It wouldn’t even have to be for the belt. I already got the real belt. They can keep their pile of brass they purport as the UFC Heavyweight Title and put it on their next paper champ.

Josh

That’s some pretty harsh stuff but before you comment please keep in mind that Barnett is a student of pro wrestling and has done a lot of it in Japan in the past. In fact, he’ll be wrestling for Antonio Inoki’s promotion in Japan on September 8 against former NCAA wrestling champ and ex-WWE wrestler Sylvester Terkay. Barnett’s comments could simply be a ploy to get him some headlines and keep his name in play. Just like Brock Lesnar, it’s another mission accomplished.

• HexRei says:

Someone should remind that fool that he tested positive for steroids after that fight and had his title stripped. He shouldn’t even have that win on his record, he cheated. And now he has the balls to call out Randy as if he these things never happened? I hope the fat repulsive loser never fights again.

• steve24 says:

Give him a 1 fight deal and see what happens. Let Big Nog get 1 more fight under his belt before he fights Randy.

• garth says:

HexRei brings up (yet again) a good point: why do roids users have their fights stand, and potheads don’t? is it because pot is illegal and roids (while controlled) are legal?
    Also, Josh, someone did beat you to take that belt: it was your own steroids-using self. You beat your own ass. I respect this guy’s skills, I’ve watched him in ADCC before (Barnett-Kerr was pretty awesome) but that kind of trashtalk is stupid. Dana always shoots his mouth off. Barnett, get over yourself.

• dice says:

There is a little bit of a difference between him and brock though. I mean this is a guy who has a ton of credentials. Getting him back in the cage would be a good move (provided he is clean).

And yes everyone should recognize that dana white doesn’t have an ounce of credibility left when he talks. Now talking about shameless promoting………

• BearSlam says:

I’d have to agree up to this point. He tested positive for steroids, his “win” can’t even be classified as such. It’s tainted. Therefore making his championship tainted as well. Besides, Randy has how many sucessful title defences in how many different tenures with the belt? Barnett barely won anything but a couple GP’s in Pride. In my opinion, you have to defend the belt to be called the Champion. Josh couldn’t even make it past the urine sample table with his. 😛

What a spode, there’s a reason he’s the only decent Pride Heavyweight unsigned, other then Fedor. He disappear back in obscurity like he was before. 😛

• “Someone should remind that fool that he tested positive for steroids after that fight and had his title stripped.”

Bingo.

And I don’t think it’s just a pro wrestling promo, I really think Josh Barnett believes that garbage.

• Zurich says:

I’d like to see Josh in the UFC. I think you guys are being a little harsh on him… karma did get Josh back. When he fought in Vegas for PRIDE, he tested clean but was getting wrecked by the huge underdog Natsula, who was roided up. Guys like Nog and Arlovski have zero personality… at least Josh is consistently entertaining! Plus, the guy brings it every time. I think it’d be a bad night for Randy Couture.

• Justin says:

lets not foget that Randy pwned him for 95% of their fight.

• Mobb Deep says:

HA, Barnett would never get to Randy cause he would have to get through Cro Cop, who already whipped his ass on several occasions. I’ll give him an “A” for effort though.

• bubbafat says:

I just wanted to point out that Sylvester Terkay has fought under K1 rules against Remy Bonjasky(awesome dutch kickboxer) and controlled Remy the whole fight despite the judges bull decision against him.

• jazzn says:

The guy tested positive for juice so what he says doesn’t mean anything to me nor have I any interest in seeing him in the UFC.

• […] those UFC Mania commentators think that Couture could beat Barnett in a fight in 2007. Sam Caplan also thinks that Barnett’s comments are mainly a gimmick. They’re not. The fact that people are […]

• […] trying to use some wrestling antics to gain himself some press. If you haven’t read it, here’s what he wrote on his myspace: Let’s get straight to it and say that Randy did a phenomenal job at UFC 74 in defending his […]