Random Rants: Bubba’s Hatley loses Muay Thai debut; Hong Man’s appeal upheld

There have been a lot of searches linking people to FiveOuncesOfPain.com today with people using Brent Hatley as the search phrase.

Brent is the producer of the Bubba the Love Sponge Show on Sirius Satellite Radio. I’m a huge fan of all the Howard Stern channels and of the Stern show, the Ferrall show, and Bubba’s show. Whenever I’m working, their shows are usually what I’m listening to.

While I’ve never met Brent, I am a huge fan of his and I find that I surprisingly have a lot in common with the guy. Yes, I’ve never met the guy but I listen every day and after awhile you start to feel like you know the people a little bit.

Hatley, a former Marine, trains at the Gracie franchise in Tampa, Florida under the guidance of Rob Kahn. He trains both Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu and has lost a ton of weight since he began training. After only several months of training, Hatley made his amateur Muay Thai debut this past Saturday.

According to the show, Brent lost his match via TKO at 0:39 second of round one. It’s ashame he lost his first match because he talked about training just about every day on the show. As someone who has also done amateur MMA and Muay Thai and lost his debut, I know how much the feeling sucks. Hopefully Brent sticks with it and gets back in the ring ASAP. Losing a fight can leave a crappy taste in your mouth for a long time and sometimes the only way to get over it is by fighting as soon as possible.

Because of the nature of the show, I’m sure he’s taking a lot of crap from people. However, give the man credit for having the stones to step in and take a fight.

In another MMA-related story, I’m sure by now you’ve all heard about the news pertaining to Phil Baroni, Sean Sherk, and Hermes Franca and their dealings with the California State Athletic Commission this morning.

Well, Hong Man-Choi also had a hearing today as well.

Hong Man, who won in a kickboxing rules match this weekend in Japan, was denied a medical license because of a tumor near his pituitary gland that causes him to continue to grow. He was supposed to have fought Brock Lesnar at Dynamite USA!! on June 2 but couldn’t fight without a license. Antonio Silva was also scrapped from the card for the same reason but has since undergone surgery to have the tumor removed.

For some reason, Hong Man doesn’t want the surgery. He should just have it and then put the tumor up on eBay. He’d make millions.

His case was today and according to the California State Athletic Commission, his denial of a medical license was upheld.  Until he has the tumor is removed he’s not going to get licensed in California and it will be difficult for him to get licensed anywhere else in a regulated state in the U.S.

• says:

I don’t really know much about these things, but do Choi and Antonio Silva require the tumour in order to maintain their present size?

• says:

Yes, if one has their tumor removed they will shrink down to average size. However, the penis will remain proportionate to the once gigantic frame.

• says:

I agree with the decision made by the CSAC’s commissioners to not let Hong Man Choi fight. I can’t believe it’s even being argued that someone with life-threatening (or at the very least life-shortening) brain tumors should be allowed to fight as if they don’t have such brain tumors.

hbdale309 is clearly just trying to be funny, as his information is not correct

Zurich— The answer to your question is no, but having the tumors removed will stop the damage that the tumors are doing to the body and help prevent further excessive growth. The excessive growth from the Acromegaly is most noticeable on the outside in the form of an enlarged head, eyebrow area, jaw, cheekbones, hands, and feet, but on the inside it’s also leading to enlarged internal organs and huge amounts of pressure on the heart, which is why it’s rare to see someone with the tumors still intact live past the age of 50.

It’s also a myth that most people who are extremely tall have Acromegaly. If you look at the NBA, it’s filled with extremely tall people who don’t have Acromegaly— if they did have Acromegaly, their bodies would break down very quickly with the NBA schedule.

Andre the Giant had Acromegaly, didn’t have his tumors removed, and lived a life of horrible pain that ended in premature death. If you take a look at Andre’s Wikipedia page, some of the things on there about his Acromegaly include:

“The disease that granted him his immense size also began to take its toll on his body. By the late 1980s, André was in constant, near-crippling pain, and his heart struggled to pump blood throughout his massive body. When he was not in front of a camera, he was usually in a wheelchair.”

“André died in his sleep on January 27, 1993, in his Paris hotel room, where he was discovered the following morning by his chauffeur. He was in France to attend the funeral of his father. It was later concluded that he died of congestive heart failure, a byproduct of the growth hormone-secreting pituitary tumor he had much of his life and chose not to have treated.”

• says:

Sports week. Pft. Those rich slobs take off WAY too much time, and much like you Sam I always have Stern on in the background when I’m working. I’ve been dieing for the Iron Sheik episode to hit Howard TV lol.

• says:

If Hong Man Choi takes a punch to the head, will the tumor burst? Will he die “faster”? It seems to me he is quite able bodied and healthy. If the CSAC had jurisdiction over soccer they wouldn’t let him play. So what is he “allowed” to participate in. And by the way Ivan, don’t get me wrong I loved the Giant, but a healthy lifestyle he did not live. He could gulp down a couple of bottles o’red or white before you could lift your glass.

• says:

Every account of Andre the Giant I have ever read includes examples of his incredibly unhealthy lifestyle – that’s what he was known for outside his stature in wrestling.

• says:

I certainly don’t disagree about Andre the Giant’s lifestyle, and he was probably the wrong example to use for that reason, but none of that changes the fact that Acromegaly is a devastating disease.

• says:

Matt:

I agree. I’m listening to “Sports Week” (what a weak concept) and I’m not really hearing any sports interviews? Not that I care. If I want to hear sports on the Stern channel, I listen to Ferrall.

The amount of vacations they take is a joke. They just took two weeks off three weeks ago! When they were at K-Rock, they took eight weeks off. Now they take ten weeks off plus every Friday. Not to mention I think Stern takes a week off near Labor Day. So once they come back I think they might be going on vacation again/

Stern’s the man but if radio is starting to wear on him then he should retire after his current deal is up.

• says:

Brent went out and fought a monster and did not bail out. That took more balls than any of his co-workers have. Either that or he figured the beating would be better than being crucified endlessly for not fighting. Either way he man’ed up and that gives him an advantage for future matches, esp. if he is more evenly matched.

• says:

Is Stern posting the video to Howard TV?